head gasket

Before I devote the weekend to major surgery just want to check my diagnosis. Symptoms: Very low compression in hole #3 and ONLY hole #3 (1,2,4 showed 150ish) Confirmed low reading with finger-in-the-hole test Rough idle Lack of power Stumbles on hard acceleration at lower RPMs (not lugging, but close) Does NOT visibly burn coolant Burns NO oil (or at least very minimal)

- AND - Cooling system over-pressurized, pushing coolant by known good cap and overflowing reservoir. Does not empty system enough to effect temperature, but impossible to keep full.

NO coolant in oil NO oil in coolant

So... My assumption is a small head gasket leak between #3 hole and water jacket, small enough that it will push gasses out of chamber and into coolant but does not allow flow into chamber with only pressure of cooling system.

Have not done a leak-down (without the coolant pressure issue I might think maybe a valve issue)

Plan is to replace headgasket and replace timing bits while I have the head off.

Anything obvious I am missing here??

Reply to
David Floyd

year/model? Some 22R heads have porous castings or it could be corroded. Are you going to have head cleaned and valves redone?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Duh.. sorry

92 2wd pickup, basic 22re 135,000 on the clock sorry
Reply to
David Floyd

I think you have the problem nailed down.

David Floyd wrote:

aluminum heads will corrode if not grounded i seen that in a magazine once

Reply to
espalding1

I agree that you have the problem properly diagnosed. I had similar sypmtoms on my 92 3VZE engine along with a lack of oil or coolant leaks). I wasn't sure because I got some strange diagnostic codes that indicated the O2 sensor.

I corrected that and ended up with a "lean" mixture code. An oil leak started showing recently. Fix the problem before your engines does start leaking and costs you more.

Reply to
crashq

Sorry, I screwed up that last post. Two of the more likely problems are a burnt valve ( due to no oil or coolant leaks) or a head gasket leak ( less likely since no leaks)

Reply to
crashq

Another possibility is a burned valve, since you only have one low pressure cylinder.

Reply to
crashq

Not likely. A burned valve will not pressurize the cooling system. An easy way to check for a burned valve is the hold your hand tight against a rag on the tailpipe outlet when the engine is idling. It should be constant outflow of exhaust gas. A regular "suckback" would indicate a burned ex. valve. Part of the intake stroke being pulled in through the burned spot in the ex. valve. The overflowing radiator and expansion tank? Head gasket. You're on the right track.

Reply to
Lhead