Multiple head gasket replacements???

How many of you with the 3VZE V-6 (from the problem years between 88 and 95) have replaced the head gasket more than once? I just found that my head gasket has blown for a THIRD time. I have a lot of miles on my truck (231k) so I can't complain too loudly about poor value, but what upsets me is that Toyota claims to have "redesigned" the head gasket to eliminate this problem. If there wasn't a fix, they should have fessed up. Then, I would have sold my 92 truck after the last replacement.

Reply to
crashq

Are you checking the block deck and head for flatness? If head is warpped it can cause shorter gasket life. Try this, make sure head is flat, have it milled if need bo to flatten it. Next unstall gasket and head and torque to spec. Run eninge to full heat and then let it cool completely and retorque head bolts. Now drive it normally and after a few thousand miles, check head bolts again to see if there has been any change and if not forget about checking it any more. Aluminum has a different expansion rate than cast iron and regardless of repair/service manual instructions, I always retorque them as above.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks for the tips. I had the work done at the dealer, so I assumed that they did that.

The current (non-dealer) mechanic called today. Both heads had cracks in them (ouch). I guess the problem was more than the head gasket design. It sounds more like a heating/cooling/warping design problem with the aluminum heads.

The last time, > >

Reply to
crashq

Aluminum heads are nice a light but they can warp and crack sometimes and you NEVER want to overheat a engine with them on it it because it is almost a sure thing that you will damage them. ANother tip, it is quite possible to weld a aluminum head to repair a crack but you should always drill stop the crack before to weld it or it may return. DO have your mech retorque the heads after it has reached full heat and then cooled the first time before you start driving it. Again aluminum head can work fine if a little extra care is taken with them especailly with retorquing them after intail cycle.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The mechanic tried to

They are crap. He was telling you the truth.

and were the cause of

Then, he had the guts to tell me that I should go with the

He was telling you the truth again. I have replaced more Bosh plugs for driveability problems, and they were only installed for a few weeks to a few months before they failed. I also prefer NGK and Denso plugs. I have never had an NGK or Denso plug go bad and you can put them in anything that needs a spark plug and it will run without problems. I can't say that about the other brands.

Reply to
Mike

I doubt the plugs "caused" a head gasket failure, but having parts break off inside the chamber or a severe misfire isn't going to help the situation any.

We hear a LOT of problems here (not just one or two, several dozen) with Bosch plugs, where people switched and had severe drivability problems, and had to switch back to Denso or NGK. There's a reason we refer to them as Botched Plugs... ;-)

Same reason we send people to the dealer for certain items like factory distributor caps and rotors, plug wires and cooling thermostats - repeated severe problems with aftermarket parts.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman