hybrid

Hi All,

Just read an article on the '04 Prius in Popular Mechanics. Man.....this machine sounds sweet. I wonder if Toyota will ever put hybrid running gear in Taco's and Tundras? Imagine getting 35 MPG in a Tundra 4x4. :-)

Has Toyota made any statements about long range plans for hybrid running gear?

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Davis

Did you catch the part of the article about the non-existent torque? The MPG would be nice, but having enough power to get out of a mud hole is nicer!

Reply to
Bard

Did you read the story?!? Just the opposite! The electric motor delivers

100% of it's torque at low rpm's where an internal conbustion engine delivers low torque at low rpm.

The way I read it - the sacrifice would be on top end speed. But who do you know that travels at 100 mph+?

Reply to
Aaron Davis

To be honest, no I didn't. I've only seen the specs on a few commuter cars that are currently available and they would be scary trying to merge onto Texas highways! What kind of #s were they reporting?

As for 100+ mph, I love it. Just not >

Reply to
Bard

Let's see.... Popular Mechanics, Nov 2003, Special Advertising Section, starting on page 25 (12 unnumbered pages).

'04 Prius 2890 lbs, midsize, 0 to 60 in 10 seconds, 100 mph top end. Powered by a 500 volt, 50kw (67 hp) electric motor. 295 ft lb of torque from zero to 1200 rpm. 1.5 liter IC engine @ 76 hp (82 ft lbs torque). Regenerative brakes. ~50 MPG. Performance comparable to a 4 cylinder Camry.

Jeez ....I wish a similar drivetrain was available in their trucks....

Reply to
Aaron Davis

Reply to
Bard

There is potential for electric off road vehicles

hybrids may need a little more work b

I believe if the motor and parts were designed for the application, a hybrid drivetrain would fare just fine in a heavy 4x4. The military has been talking about this for some battlefield vehicles - very stealthy.

I don't know about anyone else but I believe building gas hogs in this day and age is simply indefensible.

Reply to
Myron Roberts

"Myron Roberts" sez:

Indeed, think about what you could do with 4-wheel independent power and no transmission, transfer case or driveshafts.

What's your cut line for being a "gas hog" or not?

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

~22 mpg for a non-commercial vehicle. If there were a 10K surcharge for anything below 22 mpg, you can bet the class would disappear. Forever. Good riddance......

Reply to
Myron Roberts

People have been screwin' around with hybrids for 15-20 years now. Remember the creative types with Opals and Beatles powered by jet aircraft starter motors? If the incentive was there, the vehicles would be built. These high mpg vehicles would haul trailers, families and more.....

Reply to
Myron Roberts

And they shall stand in a circle, hold hands, and sing Kumbyah... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Little liberal elitist lemming.

Now I see why my spell checker wanted to change your name to Moron!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Then get busy Myron!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Has Toyota made any statements about long range plans for hybrid running gear?

Aaron

Yes they have in a previous press release that I have read but didn't keep a copy of. I'll check to see if I can find it and post to the group.

Hybrid systems will be in most vehicles within the next 10 years.......

Bryan

Reply to
bryanwoods

Huh? elitist?

You ever been in LA? Some of the locals have a saying: "I don't trust air I can't see". Ever study charts of estimated deaths by locality caused by burning fuels? The problem is - our population is large enough that the actions of individuals are now seriously affecting the larger group.

Personally, I love the feel of a 40K+ SUV. It feels like luxury and drives so sweet. I just don't feel it's a responsible thing to buy. I really have to wonder why I'm even bothering to respond - since your entire response was nothing more than a personal attack......

Reply to
Myron Roberts

We can say that with just about anything, that can be a slippery slope. If they are doing nothing illegal, then leave them be.

Ok, my suggestion is to do as you have and not buy one. But to set there and tell everyone else they don't need one is ridiculous. Even if they buy it for just transportation, its still their business.

No more than your "attack" or comments toward law abiding people buying a perfectly legal product, i.e. a SUV, which they may have a serious need for also.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Pulls like a deisel. :) Nice specs from such a small car.

I bet it flies in and out of heavy traffic/metro areas.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander