K&N 57 or 77 Series FIPK?

I just started looking into these K&N products and the immediate differences I can see are that the 77 comes in the chrome-type finish and otherwise only $2 difference from the 57. This would be the first mod I have done to my '99 PreRunner with the 3.4L V6 engine (88,000 mi) so I know I won't be conflicting with anything else. My source so far has been performanceproducts.com based on reading other posts to this group. They don't list the HP gain specifically other than being dyno-proven gains. The other thing I need to consider is ease of installation so I'd appreciate input on that with regard to either product or this mod in general.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
S. Brooks

Toyotas tends to have a good factory intake system. But you can test this yourself.

Take out the stock air cleaner and drive around the block. (assuming it's not a dirt block). You may notice more noise, but see if you can feel any more power. If you don't feel anything, then a K&N is not going to help. If you do, then you need to figure out if it's worth the price. Now if you had a opened up throttle body with better headers and exhaust, then a K&N may help more.

This is always hot topic, but I am going to give you my 2 bits on the subject.

K&N filters flow more air, but also lets more dirt in. In a racing application, they are great as you need all the power you can get, and you rebuilt the motor every few races anyway.

Not over the 200k+ miles you will put on that Toyota, it adds up quickly.

Now a lot of people say they filter better, but when I held mine up to the sun, I could see tiny holes. How this filters better then an half inch of foam in my foam filter is beyond me. Also, you don't run a K&N in wet water as it tends to let water pass. It takes a lot more water to get past a foam filter. I always run foam filters on my toys and I seems to get longer engine life then the friends that run K&N. (Foam and K&N both oiled)

In my Toyota, I run a stock filter, but I oil it. I know people say not too, but I have not had any problems and my intake is very clean. (I check every oil change.) When the filter is dirty, I toss it and oil up another one. They last about 5k miles for me since I live down a dirt road.

Reply to
Eddie