Motorized Antenna for Pickup

I have a 94 Toyota Pickup. Would it be possible to replace my antenna with a Motorized Antenna? If so, how to install the 2 power cables? Thanks.

Reply to
Hoc Phan

Have you priced one yet? The dealer wanted $270.00 to replace the factory power antenna on the wife's '98 4Runner. So she's gonna get a manual one from Walmart.

Reply to
Kai Seymour

Hoc Why would you want a power antenna? Expensive to maintain if factory, expensive to install aftermarket. Been there, done that. I love the "Limited" option package, but not that power antenna

Reply to
dirty rat 753

I installed a couple in my daily drivers over the years. Got them from JC Whitney

for about $40, easy to install and workfairly well. I first tried an amplified short antenna but found thatunamplified and as tall as you canget worked the best. Why did I go with power? After some jerk decided it wouldbe fun to go through the parking lot I was in and snap off all the radioantennas. Also I have the factory power antenna on my 4Runner, nice foroff-road in that you canpull it down part way or all the way to keep it safe from low hanging treebranches.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Speaking from my own experience, in my old neighborhood, kids would go around bending all the antennas on cars, it was like some stupid game. One reason why the power antenna was a good option.

Reply to
Dan J. S.

After replacing two powered antennas in my Honda Accord, I finally decided to buy a short flexible antenna from Wal-Mart or K-Mart (can't remember for sure). It cost about $10 and if some hoodlums break it, not so hard or expensive to replace.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

i replaced the factory power ant on my '89 p/up w/ a Harada power antenna. pretty simple install...i'm no longer using the factory radio, so i hooked up 1 wire to B+ and the other to the "ant out" lead comimg from the radio.

Reply to
miike

I just want to put power antenna b/c of fun, just having a little money wanna spend on something funky. But the thing is that I don't know how to hook up the electrical cables to operate the motor. How to do that?

Reply to
Hoc Phan

The isntructions you get with the antenna should tell you what to do. The package will (or should) have some kind of wiring kit included.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

Not much to it, you need power (constant 12V so the antenna can retract if you turn off the ignition), ground and a connection to the radio's power antenna wire. Hardest part is getting the new cable and wiring harness routed through the fender and into the cab.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Before I'd send the money on a factory power antenna, I'd spend the same money for XM Radio. In fact, I'm sorry I cut the antenna hole in my new fender in the first place.

Reply to
chuck

I have a lightly used OEM Toyota antenna from a 94 4Runner--- just replaced the antenna mast ($32) on it (the nylon drive cable breaks after 5 years or so). I'll sell it for $45 and $8 shipping. OEM ones sell new for over $250. It has the bracket, correct fender plastic piece and all cables (power/antenna feed) that should plug directly into the wiring harness in your PU. I'm in Northern VA and can accept payment via PayPal (funded by account or bank accout but not credit card). Reply to snipped-for-privacy@cox.net if interested.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for your offer though but I decide to buy a manual antenna instead now. It's easier for me.

Reply to
Hoc Phan