Need ramp to load 4 wheel mower onto the bed of Tundra?

I'm looking for a ramp to do per Subject. I have a John Deer riding mower? I'd like a ramp I can trust to attach to the tail gate, and clear it from the blade below the mower.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Google or Yahoo and other search engines are your friend.

results in .26 seconds.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

"Anyolmouse" found these unused words:

... and IE is not yours !

OP ... If you're concerned about the baldes and housing hitting, you'll need an arched ramp or one that has a transition angle. The cheap ones are single slope.

For security, you'd need something to grip onto just indied the top of the tailgate. Usually they just rest on the gate and you use bungees to 'secure' them.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

If this is going to be a common occurence, you'd be better off with a small trailer.

If you are going to use ramps to load the mower, I'd recommend removing the tailgate and use ramps that sit on the bumber and allow you to go directly from the ramps to the bed. I've used 2x 6's for this in the past. I've also backed the truck down into a shallow depression (ditch) to imporve the angle.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Per C. E. White:

+1 on that.

I use ramps to load a 700#+ lawn tractor/sickle bar mower into the back of my Suburban and it is a real hassle - not to mention the safety considerations of a minor accident while driving or losing it during the loading process.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)
+2 on the Trailer idea. I bought a 3/4 ton capable tilt bed trailer many years ago and found it just plain handy for all manner of jobs, even though I now have a Tacoma. I put a ball on the back of my tractor and use the trailer for on-site work. I also cut firewood in the winter and tow the trailer with my tractor from the woods to my driveway where the perfectly balanced trailer is easy to switch from tractor to Truck for delivery. But the handiest is when I want to save pick-up and return fees if I need the tractor serviced. I back the truck with trailer to the best little hump of lawn I have, unlock the tilt mechanism and drive the tractor right up on it. I've gotten very good at inching forward so that the trailer bed pretty gently settles back to level. I can then lock it and strap the tractor in for a quick delivery.

Of course, I've been fortunate enough to have a place to store the trailer out of the weather.

A final thought, I've ready on the Tacoma World forums that people have been bending their Tacoma tailgates with too much weight while loading and unloading motorcycles, snowmobiles, ... You might want to consider a quick study of the weight capacity of your tailgate before getting half way up your ramp.

God luck

Reply to
JMc

This brought back memories to me. If you look at the rear of a mid-70's Ford pick-up, the tailgate seems to have an extra rib detail above the F O R D letters. Originally I thought this was an odd styling detail. However, when I was interviewing for a job when I was about to graduate from college, I talked to a Ford Engineer. Since I was raised on a farm and my dad had a Ford pick-up, we talked about the trucks. At some point the Ford engineer mentioned that they added that detail becasue of pig farmers (like my Dad at the time). According to him, Ford had discovered that the tailgate would bukle under the weight of large hogs. The engineering solution was to add the extra detail in the sheet metal to stiffen the tailgate. My Father never actually used the tailgate for loading. He had built a special rack that replaced the tailgate and included a loading ramp. He built this for a 1962 F100 short box. Thirty years later it would still fit on a 1992 F150 with a short box. I finally disposed of the rack when I sold my 1992 F150. It won't fit on the newer models. People used to tease my Father becasue as soon as he got a truck, he removed the tailgate and stuck it in the barn. Four or five years later when he traded trucks, he would reinstall the "perfect" tailgate on a truck that had been beat to death.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White
1962 : F100 short box. Thirty years later it would still fit on a 1992 F150 with a : short box. I finally disposed of the rack when I sold my 1992 F150. It won't : fit on the newer models. People used to tease my Father becasue as soon as : he got a truck, he removed the tailgate and stuck it in the barn. Four or : five years later when he traded trucks, he would reinstall the "perfect" : tailgate on a truck that had been beat to death. : : Ed

Neat story--

Reply to
Anyolmouse

"C. E. White" found these unused words:

Quite so, the inner panel of a Taco is under supported. Mine's compresse just from kneeling and loading cement blocks furher back. Finall use a cut sheet of 3/4 plywood to spread the weight.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

33,700 results in .26 seconds.>

Thanks. Well, yes, but I'm looking pretty much for someone who can "testify" to the safety.

Reply to
W. eWatson

> 33,700 results in .26 seconds.>

Yes, but which ones provide a secure grip? I live in a small town 60 miles from Sacramento, so if anyone knows of something in the Sac area, let me know. Here we have Lund ramps, and the store is limited to one type. I'd like to find a place that has lots of ramp models.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I'd rather not buy a trailer. Takes up too much space, and it would be seldom used.

Reply to
W. eWatson

My concern too.

Reply to
W. eWatson

My concern too.

Reply to
W. eWatson

It's a Toyota Tundra, 2005. Mid sized I guess. It's my son's.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I bought ramps at NorthernTool Co. for my Tacoma. Sears and other places also sells them. Google "tailgate ramps".

Reply to
Ronbo