Length of Outback/Wagon bed?

I'm considering replacing my '94 2WD Nissan pickup with a late '90's Subaru wagon/Outback. 4WD pickups are overpriced in Colorado, and I think I can fit most loads in the back of the wagon. But how much room is there in the bed?

My wife's Forester, which would be a good choice due to the ample vertical space, has about 45" from the back of the headrests to the middle of the rear gate. How much more can be gained in the Outback series? This is not a common piece of info, so yes, I am expecting you to go measure, or had done so in the past. The import pickups only have a 72" bed, so if I can get close to 60" in a Subaru, I'd be happy.

Have you also made such a switch? Do you carry large stuff in the wagon, like 4X8 sheets of plywood? Any better suggestions?

I like the additional ground clearance of the Outback because the snow plows here leave nice ridges to get hung up on. Does it also have a heavier suspension?

-Bill Radio

Reply to
Bill Radio

I measure 68" from the back of the front seat (in not quite all the way forward position) to the rear gate bottom of the window on my 2004 Outback which should be the same as a 2000 on up. My 98 and 96 both had about the same length as the 04. I can easily haul 3 full size garbage cans and several bags when I go to the dumps every few months so I have no need for a truck. In my 98 I even hauled a quarter cord of wood with my only concern being the weight on the floor and seat backs.

Reply to
Greg