odometer tampering?

92 pickup 22re

I am curious if tampering even occurs anymore, I would assume its difficult. The reason I ask is this truck I got used with 76k, now at

88k,

allready put in a new clutch at 80k new fluid in Trans, now sycncomesh shows wear, grinds a bit on shift. sounds like it needs a cam chain/gears, making tinkling noiise. lots of rock chips Ignition worn out key worn out, door locks hard to open Wheel bearing needed adjusted needs valves adjusted, ticking on #4 doesn't run quite right, surges, seems a little short on power.

I wanted a low milage toyota for reliablitly, what I got was a lemon. Is it easy to reset or run it all the way around again? I really would consider it unlikely, but all of this together....hmmmmm

Reply to
Cregster

Run a Car Fax - not always accurate but catches a few suspects.

Reply to
RefineryDog

This is bad, I have a pickup that I feel I got duped in same maner, worst is I know how to do it, not reset the OD, just get one from the junkyard, use it until you get close to selling, then switch back. I bet it is done more and more...

Cregster enlightened us with:

Reply to
Plowboy

California maintains a public site for smog checks. VIN in, smog check history out. With mileage at each check. It is a pain to pull a speedometer, but nothing a few hours won't fix. Once out, a swap is easy, rebuild is not difficult, and on reassembly, you can set whatever you want. Don't sweat it so much. If you goofed and didn't check in advance, hit yourself once and move on. Some drivers can make a clutch last, others never will. The last owner may have lived in a city as I do.

"RefineryDog" wrote in message news:Mp6Le.592$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
SBC Usenet

That does seem like a lot of wear on a truck with 80K. My 93 has 206,000 and still on the original clutch, tranny is smooth, ignition switch is fine, cam chain good, power good.

Cregster wrote:

Cregster

Reply to
Cregster

I towed a 17' sail boat quite a bit with my yota and needed a new clutch at

80k. Lots of yota owners swap their non-SR dash for the SR one with a Tach and other gauges -- very simple swap.
Reply to
Wolfgang

or you bought a driven hard/abused and not maintained truck.

Reply to
JeB

I agree with your thoughts and suggestions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think, on OBDII vehicles, you can change the speedo with one that has different mileage or change mileage when rebuilding unit but computer will still have correct mileage on vehicle in it's memory. If this is true then you should be able to get correct mileage with a scan tool or at Autozone as they will do a scan for free. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Spend $20 and get a "Car Fax".

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Reply to
Bob Palmer

Ha that is about right for a chev just over 100K miles per engine. What the news did not mention is how many times that guy was standing on the side of the road with his broken Chev "like a rock". Chevs are the only vehicle that have left me in the bush and radioing for help!

Reply to
notmyrealname