2000 S-10 questions

Is there any programmability with the RKE system, something I can do myself? I'd like to try and maybe get the lights to come on and stay on when I unlock the doors, as well as have both doors unlock with one key press, instead of 2. How about a horn honk when I lock with the RKE? I bought the truck used, dealer only had a manual from a 99, I accepted that, knowing that there was at least 1 difference (dome override 4x disables DRLs and auto headlights for that key cycle, works on mine, but not on 99's). Also, because the truck was used, I only got 1 RKE, that's all they had. Can I buy one from Ebay and program it myself, or does a dealer need to do it?

I know on my mom's 2000 Buick you can program this type of stuff, it's in the manual, unfortunately I don't have the right manual for the truck.

Is there a key sequence for reading DTCs like on some makes, or is Chevy a scan-tool only deal?

Thanks, I know you guys are a helpful bunch, and chip in myself when I can...

Reply to
Mike Levy
2000 S-10 questions Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Jan 9, 2004, 4:32am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@levyclan.nospam.us (Mike=A0Levy) Is there any programmability with the RKE system, something I can do myself? I'd like to try and maybe get the lights to come on and stay on when I unlock the doors, as well as have both doors unlock with one key press, instead of 2. How about a horn honk when I lock with the RKE? I bought the truck used, dealer only had a manual from a 99, I accepted that, knowing that there was at least 1 difference (dome override 4x disables DRLs and auto headlights for that key cycle, works on mine, but not on 99's). Also, because the truck was used, I only got 1 RKE, that's all they had. Can I buy one from Ebay and program it myself, or does a dealer need to do it? I know on my mom's 2000 Buick you can program this type of stuff, it's in the manual, unfortunately I don't have the right manual for the truck. Is there a key sequence for reading DTCs like on some makes, or is Chevy a scan-tool only deal? Thanks, I know you guys are a helpful bunch, and chip in myself when I can...

Foe your RKE buying it off ebay may not be a good idea....You need to make sure it works for one...Also you need to match the serial numbers up on the back or it will not program... To get DTC's you need a scan tool or use a jump wire on you DLC....Then the SES light will flash out the code....As far as the lights not too sure but i think you need a scan toll to adjust you timers ... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The parts are not interchangeable even though the parts may appear to be similar. Observe the back of the transmitter in order to properly identify the system. On 2000 S/T pickups and utilities, use a transmitter identified with GM/UTA preceding the part number.

1.. With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. 2.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 3.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 4.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 5.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 6.. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode: 1.. Locking the doors 2.. Unlocking the doors

Important All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the old transmitters will be deactivated.

Reply to
Bobo

Reply to
Bobo

Thanks for that Bobo, if I happen upon a transmitter that will work with my system I'll keep that in mind. Anything on programming another key? I DO have 2 keys, but if I find a need or want for a

3rd, can I do that myself or is that dealer->Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The
Reply to
Mike Levy

Reply to
Bobo

But the keys have to be coded so the ignition cylinder can determine if it's the right key or a fake... Don't they?

Reply to
Mike Levy
[snip]

I only counted 4 questions. What happened to the other 1,996? :-)

Reply to
David Kelly

Reply to
Bobo
5 seconds from pressing the SET switch, a chime confirmation will be heard. =A0=A0=A0=A04.. Press the UNLOCK button on the desired transmitter (key fob) within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch. A chime confirmation will be heard. =A0 a.. The transmitter (key fob) is now programmed with the desired position switch. Pressing the transmitter UNLOCK button will cause a recall request to be initiated and the seat will adjust to position 1 or

Oh how wrong you are the key does have to do with the passlock.....Ive had codes shoot because of a after market keys being cut cheesy and keys that were too worn....As long as its a gm key an is cut right you should have no problem.. Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

OK, was not aware of that. The dealer cut me a second key anyway, they only had 1 key and 1 remote.

How about fluids? I have the G80 in the back, can I still run Molbil1

80w90? T-case can be Mobil 1 tranny fluid, right? I know the tranny can be. T-case is the 2-speed, 2Hi 4Hi 4Lo unit, not the autotrac or whatever it is.
Reply to
Mike Levy

Re: 2000 S-10 questions

1.. With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. 2.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 3.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 4.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 5.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 6.. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode: 1.. Locking the doors 2.. Unlocking the doors Important All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the old transmitters will be deactivated. 7.. Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner: 1.. Locking the doors. 2.. Unlocking the doors. 8.. Repeat step 7 for each additional transmitter. 9.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode. 10.. In order to reprogram the remote control door lock transmitter with a scan tool, refer to Scan Tool instructions. Memory Seat Recall Programming 1.. Adjust the driver seat to the desired position. 2.. Press the switch labeled SET. A chime confirmation will be heard. 3.. Press the desired position switch labeled 1 or 2. Within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch, a chime confirmation will be heard. 4.. Press the UNLOCK button on the desired transmitter (key fob) within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch. A chime confirmation will be heard. a.. The transmitter (key fob) is now programmed with the desired position switch. Pressing the transmitter UNLOCK button will cause a recall request to be initiated and the seat will adjust to position 1 or
  1. b.. The stored memory positions may be changed without having to reprogram the transmitter. c.. The transmitter feature is available in all ignition positions. Memory Seat Recall Unprogramming
1.. Press the switch labeled SET. A chime confirmation will be heard. 2.. Press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter (key fob) within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch.

Oh how wrong you are the key does have to do with the passlock.....Ive had codes shoot because of a after market keys being cut cheesy and keys that were too worn....As long as its a gm key an is cut right you should have no problem.. Steve C

Reply to
Bobo

Correct but on passlock II you will get I cant remember the code number but if you like i can have it for you tomorrow its is passlock signal incomplete but passes...Which will let you run the engine start but will set a code in your stored memory....Not saying your wrong but your not all the way right ....Spent 3 days and 12 hours on the phone with the gm trying to figure out why I still had this code.With out just changing the BCM..Ended up the key was after market and worn we cleared the code cut a new key and the code didn't flash.. This I give you isn't as common as complete passlock failure but it happens...You shouldn't make comments like that when you are not completely sure with out doing all the homework...But just to show you that you are without a doubt very knowledgable but tend to talk out your ass I will get the code just for you..No, no need to send a schematic for also understand how the system works ....Hopefully when you get the info you'll be more openminded to how things will screw up even if it hasnt happened to you Steve C Re: 2000 S-10 questions Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 6:35pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmailremove.com (Bobo) I am sorry to disagree with you on this passlock issue.. This s10 has passlock II to be precise.. I can send you a schematic if you like... there is no relation to the key and passlock codes... if the cylinder turns, then the magnet will turn on the hall effect switch and drop the voltage to the correct specifications and send the signal to the bcm allowing fuel delivery to continue...I can cut a piece of plastic that will let the cylinder turn and start the truck up... some models of gm have PK3 on the key, that's a totally different system in which there is a transponder built into the key..Those keys cost about 30$ each.What codes do you see shoot??? how does a "cheesy" cut key "shoot codes" ???? if you think you fixed a passlock code by cutting a new key, then they must have not bothered coming back to ya....

Reply to
Steve Cook

I know very much how the system works, and you have got to be kidding me on this.... I can take a piece of plastic and cut it to match the cylinder, put it in and start the car up.. As for 3 days.. I am willing to bet you it had nothing to do with the key... did you change the cylinder??? did you solder the 3 wire terminals at the junction below the column as per the bulletin... on both sides mind you female and male terminals???did you change or retension, or change the harness that runs up to the ignition cylinder??? I sound like I am talking out of my ass?? gm told you it was a worn key??? lol I really doubt that.... Did the cylinder turn??????? then the key did it's job..... 3 days and 12 hours for a simple passlock issue, now that's embarrasing....... what does "with out just changing the BCM "mean anyways??? did you throw one at it???? I have absolutley NEVER seen a key cause any kind of passlock issue EVER in this type of system.... I never will either... did you monitor the voltage received by the bcm from the passlock cylinder???? did it actually change when you used a different key???? that's just plain funny.......

Reply to
Bobo

Re: 2000 S-10 questions DTC B2958 When the" CORRECT" key is used to start the vehicle,a magnetic on the lock cylinder passes close to the passlock sensor within the ignition lock cylindercase...the magnet activates the security hall effect sensor in the passlock sensor which completes a circuit from the security sensor signal circuit through a resistor to the security sensor low reference circuit...the resistance value will very from vehicle to vehicle....The BCM will measure the voltage..If the voltage measured is within the valid range,the BCM will send a Class 2 message to the PCM to enable vehicle starting...If the voltage measured is not within the valid range a Class 2 message will be sent to the pcm to disable starting of the vehicle..... Actions taken when DTC sets.. The DTC will set only when the engine is running The BCM will be in the fail enable mode allowing the vehicle to start and run the security indicator will be on....

Now being that you work at a dealership I take it...Meaning yes you may get the key to turn yes you may get the car to start but YES YOU WILL GET A PASSLOCK CODE which will throw your light off...Just like you doubting it i did the same along with having too much work and not enough help which most dealerships are keen too.GM wanted me to just change out the BCM. Because before it got to me the ignition switch and cylinder were changed... They thought that might be what kept setting off the code....Then after I almost gave up and done it (changed out the BCM) I read the DTC again and found the key thing I missed before cut a new key felt like a dumb ass (because of all the time wasted)and all was well...So well yeah its just plain funny. Like I said It isn't common but to just say it cant happen just because you never seen it don't mean it hasn't and won't....We could be here everyday back ad forth agreeing and disagreeing about hings we've seen and hadn't seen but ou know as well as i do The BCM and the PCM can do some strange ass things..Like I said you seem very knowledgeable but instead of saying it cant happen and try to make someone look like a asshole. all you need to do is simply say how... Then if your right they learned something but if your wrong you learned something...See how it works. Steve C

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Jan 14, 2004, 12:16am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmailremove.com (Bobo) I know very much how the system works, and you have got to be kidding me on this.... I can take a piece of plastic and cut it to match the cylinder, put it in and start the car up.. As for 3 days.. I am willing to bet you it had nothing to do with the key... did you change the cylinder??? did you solder the 3 wire terminals at the junction below the column as per the bulletin... on both sides mind you female and male terminals???did you change or retension, or change the harness that runs up to the ignition cylinder??? I sound like I am talking out of my ass?? gm told you it was a worn key??? lol I really doubt that.... Did the cylinder turn??????? then the key did it's job..... 3 days and 12 hours for a simple passlock issue, now that's embarrasing....... what does "with out just changing the BCM "mean anyways??? did you throw one at it???? I have absolutley NEVER seen a key cause any kind of passlock issue EVER in this type of system.... I never will either... did you monitor the voltage received by the bcm from the passlock cylinder???? did it actually change when you used a different key???? that's just plain funny....... "Steve Cook" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2216.public.lawson.webtv.net... Correct but on passlock II you will get I cant remember the code number but if you like i can have it for you tomorrow its is passlock signal incomplete but passes...Which will let you run the engine start but will set a code in your stored memory....Not saying your wrong but your not all the way right ....Spent 3 days and 12 hours on the phone with the gm trying to figure out why I still had this code.With out just changing the BCM..Ended up the key was after market and worn we cleared the code cut a new key and the code didn't flash.. This I give you isn't as common as complete passlock failure but it happens...You shouldn't make comments like that when you are not completely sure with out doing all the homework...But just to show you that you are without a doubt very knowledgable but tend to talk out your ass I will get the code just for you..No, no need to send a schematic for also understand how the system works ....Hopefully when you get the info you'll be more openminded to how things will screw up even if it hasnt happened to you Steve C Re: 2000 S-10 questions Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 6:35pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmailremove.com (Bobo) I am sorry to disagree with you on this passlock issue.. This s10 has passlock II to be precise.. I can send you a schematic if you like... there is no relation to the key and passlock codes... if the cylinder turns, then the magnet will turn on the hall effect switch and drop the voltage to the correct specifications and send the signal to the bcm allowing fuel delivery to continue...I can cut a piece of plastic that will let the cylinder turn and start the truck up... some models of gm have PK3 on the key, that's a totally different system in which there is a transponder built into the key..Those keys cost about 30$ each.What codes do you see shoot??? how does a "cheesy" cut key "shoot codes" ???? if you think you fixed a passlock code by cutting a new key, then they must have not bothered coming back to ya....

Reply to
Steve Cook

that particular code has to have 2 things happen to set 1>The ignition switch is ON. 2>The BCM signal input is greater than 4.9 volts for 1 second after turning the ignition switch to the CRANK position.

that is straight from the manual... the code is defined as

" DTC B2958 Security System Sensor Data Circuit High"

like I said before, can you please explain to me how a key that is placed in a ignition lock cylinder change the voltage output of the passlock sensor that is mounted to the ignition housing... the only way they can touch is through a magnetic field... the magnet is in the ignition lock cylinder, not the key...

This code occurs when the voltage goes above 4.9 volts... the voltage out if the passlock return (yellow wire,ckt 1836) with or without a magnet near it should never be above 4.9... So how can a key that is not magnetic,( or even if it was, it would simply act like the magnet in the cylinder anyways) make a passlock sensor kick out a higher voltage than it's supposed to????? I don't know where you got the below code description, but it is real vague, that fits about 3 other codes for this system besides this particular code....Did you monitor the voltage out of the passlock module??? did it change when you put in as different key??? I am done this little discussion... I thought I might be able to educate you a little so you don't look as ignorant as you did in the first post where you jumped on aftermarket keys for causing a passlock issue. Gave up on that idea... I do have issues with some aftermarket keys as far as poor marking for the transponder type keys.. That makes it hard to tell if you need a special key sometimes when cutting a duplicate off of an aftermarket key, but that's about it... Have you seen the plastic emergency keys gm used to provide for some vehicles??? They are kinda like a credit card, you have to have them cut to the vehicle..I have used them in passlock vehicles, that's why I can say I have started them up with a piece of plastic, with no codes set, or thrown as you state.....

Reply to
Bobo

I have an 01 Sonoma ELS 3 door and it does require the special passkey . As I have had keys made at a local locksmith. He asked when he saw the vehicle what year and I told him and then he said I was lucky as the 02's required the chipped key. I have a working OEM security system on my vehicle. Are you sure about the date of year 2000 vehicles?

Reply to
Dan Calhoun

"Steve Cook" wrote

I don't know, Steve. From what I've read about the Passlock system on the 2000 S-10...."correct" key may not mean what you think it does. I'll have to check with the guys in our shop that work on the Passlock stuff....but it appears to me that the key has nothing to do with the security...other then it has to be cut correctly in order to turn the ignition lock cylinder.

There certainly is nothing fancy looking or different about these keys...unlike the resistor keys.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

just for the fun of it, I checked gm's online service manual... Even though a sonoma is the same body as a chevrolet s10, I wasn't sure if they used the same antitheft since it is a gmc.After this whole thread I didn't want to assume.. I just went and checked all the way up to 2004.. all sonoma's and s10's use the same passlock system... no chipped key... no special resistor in the key,no transponder in the key...not sure what you locksmith meant as

Reply to
Bobo

You're right Ian, passlock just uses a plain jane key. What it does is detect the tumbler turning in the column. Thieves used to break the tumbler from the column and just start the car with a screwdriver. Passlock prevents that from happening. Bob Knutson

Reply to
Bob