Shocks for LX450 obsolete?

Was just told that the OEM Lexus shocks for the LX450 96 & 97 are not available any longer. Anyone know if theis is true? If so, what have people been using as an alternative?

This is for a female driver and she prefers the LX450 suspension to the firmer Land Cruiser ride, otherwise I'd just use the OEM Land Cruiser shocks. Pretty surprised that Lexus/Toyota doesn't support their models with available parts, Mercedes Benz has never let us down with parts availability even over decades of use. Parts are still available for our '76 450sl.

Reply to
jan

You can measure the travel of you shock from minimum height to maximum and add 1 inch. Then go to your local off-road store and pick up any shock you want with those measurements. Even your local autoparts store should be able to help if they have any knowledge or you can research the shocks your self online.

Reply to
Tony

in the later models the LX the suspension was active. I'd find another dealer or get a set of Bilstiens or Ranchos from a reputable source. Call Performance Products, they'll recommend something that will fit, and you don't necessarily have to buy it from them.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

You talked to a bad parts person at the dealer. The original part numbers are discontinued because the ride was too soft and caused a swaying motion when loaded. The new part number is not a direct supercession in the dealers system, but he should hve figured it out

(I think the new part# is the same as the Landcruiser.)

Reply to
lcnut

Yep, my bad. I assumed that the nationwide Toyota parts network through the Toyota dealer would be able to access all Toyota parts, even those designated for Lexus vehicles. Nope. The parts depots that have Lexus specific Toyota parts are only accessible from Lexus parts dealers. Called them and they were able to order the parts. Here are the part #s in case any reaches this thread in a search. The '96/'97 LX450 shocks have new superceded #s which are: FR: 48531-69785 RR: 48511-69575

Thanks for the replies though, alot of good info.

Reply to
jan