Smell gas, hard to start

Hello,

I have a 91 Toyota truck with a 22RE engine in it. It has about 180,000 miles on it.

Recently I've smelled gas when I get in/out of it. Also, the starter has to crank the motor for about 6 or 7 seconds until it starts (usually only takes about 2 or 3 seconds). The truck runs fine once I get it started. I don't see any gas on the ground and my mileage is still good.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

I began smelling gas in my '88 pickup with a 22R (it has a carb). It turned out to be a leaking fuel hose by the gas tank. It was one of hte return lines and wasn't under pressure, so the gas would kind of "seep" out.

I didn't see any gasoline on the ground and my mileage didn't seem to suffer, but when I looked underneath, I could see the rubber hose was wet. The fuel was evaporating before it dripped, and when I was driving, if blew away or evaporated so there wasn't any real sign anywhere but right on the hose.

I had the garage replace the filter at the tank at the same time.

Tom - Vista, CA

Tom...

Reply to
TOM