ML270 2002 Hard to start when cold

When starting car first time in the morning..... it takes between 6 and

10 attempts before the engine fires into life. Engine turns over once the key is turned on and released. But this takes as mentioned about 6 or 10 tries before the engine actually starts. Once warmed up, the car restarts first touch of the key, and runs normally. Just hard to start when cold. Any suggestions.? benz737 ML270 2002 94k km's
Reply to
benz737

If this 270 is a diesel (not sold in USA) its glow plugs are the first suspect.

If it's a gasoline motor the cold start system is suspect (extra fuel to get the motor started).

Reply to
Take A Guess

It's a deisel. Shall have a look at the glow plugs. Someone else suggested the MAF mass air flow sensor may be the problem. Thanks for the replies

Reply to
benz737

I am assuming you let the glow plug light go out before you try to turn over the engine. I would suspect the glow plug system have some sort of problem.

Reply to
Tiger

"Take A Guess"

this is my opinion too. that can be the most probably cause

Stefano ML 270 cdi

2000 110.000 km italy
Reply to
stefano

I've owned a 220 D in Illionois. In the winter it was a bi****ch to start. New Glow plaugs and all that.

You may want to check the battery. Then the compression. For diesels these must be almost perfect. Also, in your locality, do they sell winter grade diesel? That too helps.

Kind regards,

gam> When starting car first time in the morning..... it takes between 6 and

Reply to
gw

This car is new enough where it should be a given but synthetic oil makes a HUGE difference in winter starting.

Winter grade diesel should be automatic; if it's cold where you live they'll have switched back in Novermber.

Richard Sexton

Never had any need in the past to let the glow plug light go out. It used to start first touch of the key. The glow plug light comes on for a second when the ignition key is turned to the 'on' position then goes out. Apparently if the glow plug light comes on while the engine is running, then I need to look at changing glow plug/s.

Reply to
benz737

Battery checks out OK. It's the middle of summer here at the moment, so cold weather is not an issue. Just had the oil changed three weeks ago... yes it's synthetic. I appreciate the input though.... thanks.

Reply to
benz737

benz737

Reply to