Weapon R Short Ram Dragon Intake

I'm looking at an ad for an item called the Weapon R Short Ram Dragon Intake for Toyota Pickup. The ad claims that it will increase horsepower (but it doesn't say how much) and torque and it costs under $150. My driving is almost all on the freeway in the mountainous part of Washington state. My truck, an '85 SR5 Extra Cab 2wheel drive, 5speed manual tranny and 22RE engine has to be shifted down to 4th when I get to a freeway hill of more than 5 degrees and I believe that if I just had one or two more horsepower that I would be able to maintain 70-75Mph and stay in 5th gear. Anyone used or know of anyone who has used the abovementioned intake? Is there any noticible increase in performance? What is the downside to using such a device? Any advice? Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Truthfully I don't think those things really work, well not by themselves. Except for sounding a little more intimidating, I don't think it gives more over the stock setup. It may give you 1 or 2 more horsepower, but a clean filter or a good tuneup will do the same. If you're going to go that route of adding an intake, go with the ricer setup of i/h/e...intake/ headers/ exhaust. It's going to cost some, if I recall right LCEngineering has a setup for about $950 or so, maybe cheaper with different products, but at least it'll work better than just having an intake itself. With the i/h/e setup, put in a new cam, retime the engine, adjust the valves, and your 22re will be breathing new life. I would go that route in my opinion.

Reply to
yippie

You say, "Truthfully I don't think those things really work." Upon what do you base your opinion? I know as the old adage goes, "ifit sounds too good to be true etc..." so you are probably right in your opinion; but I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion.

If it's going to cost me $1000 or more I guess I'll just have to keep on living with shifting to 4th when I come to those hills; besides, there are only 7 hills between here (Yakima) and Seattle that I have to shift down for so I guess I can live with that and if I hit them at 85 I don't have any problem whatsoever except that one of these times I'll probably get caught for speeding and that will cost.... Thanks for your opinion, I'll keep it in mind.

Reply to
Jerry

Keep in mind that opinions are like wrist watches, everyone thinks THEIRS is correct... :>))

This device reminds me of some of the snake oil products I used to see at the County Fair in Indio, CA. One was a gadget you stuck in the coil lead on the distributor. It was a coil that was supposed to boost the spark and provide better performance along with better mileage. I asked my Dad about it and told me a joke about a fellow who bought a set of spark plugs that would increase his mileage by 20%, a set of plug wires that would increase his mileage by 10%, a fuel additive that would increase his mileage by 15%, and a couple of other, similar devices. He was driving to work when a traffic cop pulled him over. There was gasoline bubbling out of the filler neck of his gas tank.

It turned out that he had put so many fuel saving devices on his car it had actually started making more gas than it used!!! :>))

Reply to
TOM

Here's some research that supports his line of thinking....

That's a comparison of several modifications of the intake on a 3.4L V6 4Runner. While the Dragon thing isn't in it, the K&N filter and intake tube are and I woudl imagine it is comparable to the Dragon setup.

In my opinion - if horsepower gains (or mileage gains) of any size can be gained with the easy additions of some of these types of products, especially the more inexpensive ones like the Tornado thing, I would think that we would see more options or standard additions by the manufacturers. I remember the Slick50 craze and thought that if there was any merit to it claims I woudl see someone in charge of a large fleet of vehicles (City, large company, etc) state that they used it to save X number of dollars.

I always remember what my dad tols me regarding the chemical gas additives - the best I can hope for is that it WON"T damage anything. :)

Reply to
Robert

That's where I was trying to hint down in my reply to the original post. I mean people who bolt on those fake intake things from autozone and pepboys aren't going to make 50hp right there. Just read some Sport Compact Car Magazines and see how much each part adds in terms of power. In the end, most to all go for the i/h/e setup to get noteworthy gains of hp. But if all else fails, just buy that intake system and tell us if it works or not. ;) But I would start with a good tuneup and maybe replace the ignition coil if it hasn't been replaced all these years. That's in my opinion.

Reply to
yippie

Since HP and MPG are usually advertising headlines, I totally agree with you.

Back in the "Big 3 are the only way days", maybe some conspiracy folks could push the Big 3 / Big Oil are in cahoots link, but nowadays, one of the imports would be all over a cheap performance gain.

Reply to
B A R R Y