What is sensor behind oil filter on 22R engine

1984 Toyota Pickup 22R 4x4 extra-cab.

I notice a sending unit (sensor) that is behnind the oil filter and is approximately 6 inches toward the rear of the engine. There isn't any wires plugged into the unit and I don't see any loose wire or any reference in my Toyota Service manual.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Believe this is the knock sensor. You may not use it in the truck. Funny thing is, I need it in my Celica (85) and there is no place to install it!!!

looks like a plug with a connector on the top of it?

Reply to
HachiRoku

For my curiosity, even you can install a knock sensor in your Celica, how can you read the signal, and even if you can, what will you do with the knock signal?

I owned a 22R engine before, it does not have electronic timing control. The knock sensor is the driver ear, and the driver brain is the computer.

Reply to
DTT

Reply to
Nick

Oh, no it is definitely a knock sensor (at least that's what diagnostics told me)

I bought the car with 245,000 on it, a beater, but a nice-looking beater. MIL was on all the time, so I pluggered it and turned the key, 11(?) flashes...knock sensor. I traced the thing down and there is was, just hanging by the wire! I asked the mech who replaced the engine and her said there was just no place to mount it! So, I found a nut to fit and just attached it where I could using the nut, just to ground it. No more MIL!

Car's getting a new engine next week, we'll see what happens!

Reply to
HachiRoku