the Good Oil Filter kit

Seen a lot of to-ing and fro-ing about full-flow oil filters here lately, and some good advise on how to keep your hoses from blowing off, avoiding too much pressure, etc., etc.

The next time I pull the Wonderbus's engine, I figure I'll install proper oil filtering and want to avoid making rookie errors with wrong kits and parts and procedures on this daily driver.

So, can someone advise the Good Oil Filter setup? Does someone sell a Komplete Kit w/ all the good parts?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

sheesh...you need to ask?

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I like the Berg pressure release pump cover, although John C. has posted that he has had the values stick open. I have two engines and two of those covers. I've been running one for ~50k miles with no problems.

I also like steel-braided neoprene oil lines with AN8 fittings. Get them made to the proper length (for the filter location in your car) and never worry about them again. Unless you hang the engine from them, they should last the life of your car. Actually, I _have_ hung the engine from the oil lines (forgot to unhook) and they are still fine.

I'm sure you can get all this good stuff from Aircooled.net. Except for the Berg pump cover (I think). I have a place (Whissler Bearing) that can make pretty much any kind of line with any sort of fittings right here in town. When I got the Baja, I mounted the filter adaptor and used an ordinary rubber hose to mock up the line lengths. I just brought the rubber hoses into Whissler Bearing and they made up a pair of lines right in front of me. Done.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Well, yeah, I was looking at that last weekend, but got hung up on this text on that page:

  1. "You MUST drill and tap the case for the return line (or use our slick adapter on dual relief cases (71' and newer) . . "

Q: How does a fellow know whether his Brazilian 1776 case is a dual relief one?

then,

  1. " . . . and it's best to drill and tap the case at the pump to plug it also (prevents oil leaks). Obviously, this is done on a disassembled engine!"

Q: So whether the fellow has a dual-relief case or not, he should be planning to drill and tap it anyway?

  1. Aircooled has a couple of options. "Firebraid hose," I probably don't need. But does the Wonderbus want Option 2, "Optional Plugged Aluminum Bodied Schadeck Oil Pump" in 26mm or 30mm sizes? Would the old standard pump work? Is it plugged or unplugged? Does it matter? What the heck /is/ plugged, anyway?
  2. As complete as John's kit is, I don't see filter or mount for same. So, near as I can tell, a fellow also needs to track down the other bits with the right fittings? I'm wanting to put together the Komplete Kit.
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Look for two of these, one up by the flywheel and one at the pully end of the case.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-449F.JPG (Ignore the tool I was trying to make.)

That would be the recommended way, yes. But not the only way.

It's the normal output passage that needs to be plugged. Cause you will be using a special pump cover that has a new output passage to get the oil outside the engine. So the "plugged" pump just has the stock passage tapped and a plug inserted. You know ... plugged.

The filter adaptors are generic fair at many ordinary car-parts places. The ones I have take a 3/8" NPT fitting. I get 3/8" to AN8s.

Take a look at Eric Huelsmann's Oil page on drilling & tapped for full flow. There's a link to it at:

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Go under your engine and see if you have TWO relief valves (large flat "screws" on one side of the sump)

If you get the oil pump, It will probably be plugged already. And the kit You see there has the adaptor for the oil filter, You only have to decide were to put it. Anyways, John C. will surely tell you everything you need to know to do that.

Right now I'm struggling to find out if my oversize (32mm) filter pump will blow or not the oil cooler. This weekend I'll build a pression gauge out of some manometers that are laying around here. (BTW, can I just plug it to one of the relief valves to measure pressure?) You won't have this problem if you get it from ACN.

Hope this helps, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Bravo max! that website is great.

Thanks, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

"Max Welton" wrote

Mike, it also might help you to take a look at this webpage:

with an explanation of how the oil control system works, the pictureat the bottom of the page shows the bottom of the crankcase and the locationof the relief and control valves. Move your cursor over the "i" in thecircle to the left of the picture and it will highlight the valves.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

this is pictured in the Bentley manual.

no, but it's the "best" method. The Return Adapter is another option (if you have a dual relief case), and it's benefits/problems are mentioned in the decription of that particular item in our catalog.

you must plug the pump, and run it out of a full flow cover. If you don't plug the pump, the oil just runs it's normal route inside the engine.

when the item is purchased, you'll get a page of "related items" which include the mounts and filters.

They are not included because many choose to use their own already, and I don't want to hear whining about how I'm selling them something that includes an item they already have. I swear, I can't win.

john Aircooled.Net Inc

Reply to
John Connolly

Good one!

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Measure pressure right where the stock oil-light switch goes.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-455F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton
[snip]

Jeepers -- is that pretty much what converting to full flow is all about? It's quite involved! Would it be safe to say that anything less is half-measure?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Consider it ignored.

The one on the pulley end -- can you see it with the engine installed?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Of course not -- it's our job as customers to make your life miserable.

But don't keep us in the dark here -- after I break open the kids' piggy bank to get the item -- how many Betty Crocker coupons will I need to get the "related items"?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

it depends on how many related items you need Mike. I'm not a mindreader; why don't you go see how many related items you need, and then you'll have a good idea. Yyou do not have to pay for them until you decide you want to buy them. We do not require a CC # to browse, only to purchase. It's not like you are going to get a mystery box with a bunch of stuff you looked at but didn't purchase with your CC receipt attached.

I'm really not sure what more I can do at this point; the quickest solution for both of us is for you to actually look.

John Aircooled.Net >

Reply to
John Connolly

Mindreaders are so hard to find these days. . .

No, no -- I didn't think that. I was concerned that I might first order the kit, then discover a slew of other items required to do the installation. You wrote "when the item is purchased, you'll get a page of `related items' which include the mounts and filters," which sounded to me like the item must be purchased -- bought and paid for -- before the list of related items is presented. I see that it's when an item is added to the shopping cart that a list of related items is presented (need to add the "Girls of Volkswagen 2004" calendar to that list), not when the item is purchased.

You're right. I wanted clarification on when the related items would be presented. Your kit looks like an excellent one for me, and I'll make sure that I order everything I need at the same time before drilling, tapping and excavating.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

The most common items are

Filter adapter mount to mount the adapter to a bumper bracket filter element (extras).

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Yeppers.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Much of

is concerned withpulling the plugs on a new case in order to clean the swarf out ofthe oil galleys and pluggin them afterward. Not strictly part ofsimply setting up for full-flow. Max

Reply to
Max Welton

The real ones know when you're coming and hide.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton