What new rotors for 93 SR5?

Truck is a '93 SR5 4x4, 290k, with the "wide tire" option.

I have been having a ongoing issue with the brakes. They pulsate when I stop. But not all the time. Some times I don't feel anything, and others, I try not to spill my drink. 10k ago, I had them checked out and the back drums where out and near the limit anyway so I had them replaced with Toyota parts. The fronts where not out of round. That fixed my problem for a bit at least.

The problem is now back and resorting to random parts replacing. I want to replace the front rotors and pads.

Anyone have a aftermarket brand they like, or should I stick with OEM?

Thanks

-Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

The intermittent pulsation could be a stuck caliper or pad-material deposits on the rotor. Look closely at the calipers and consider replacing them. If you haven't flushed and renewed your brake fluid periodically (maybe every two years), there could be enough moisture in it by now to cause corrosion in the caliper. And, moisture-laden brake fluid has a low boiling point and can flash to vapor from the heat of heavy braking. When that happens your brake pedal goes to the floor and you either crash or at least need clean shorts.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Yeah Eddie, I have the same problem- annoying pulsation on braking. I'm replacing the rotors and pads, hoping that will make the problem go away. It's common for this to happen w/ warped rotors- are you positive the rotors are OK? Bran' new OEM rotors cost $104 each here in the south. I've learned that the trend now is for car manufacturers to go w/ thinner and thinner rotors, to cut costs. Problem is, the thinner rotors heat up and warp quicker than the sturdier rotors of yesteryear.Warped rotors cause that pulsation-on-braking problem. Toyota probably did the same- thin rotors. I know the timing chain problems on their older small trucks (chain guides braking, which causes the chain to slap and chew through the case- if that chain breaks, the engine will likely be ruined) were caused when Toyota started making really lightweight timing chain components to shave costs off manufacture- those components HAD been really beefy. Anyway, check the rotors. Also, you can get better quality slotted aftermarket rotors, but if you are doing all of this yourself the chances of some glitch turning your project into a nightmare go way up ('Didn't you know you were supposed to install the matched power boosters w/ those performance rotors, son?')- if your a shade tree mechanic you know how THAT can go, right? Luck...

Reply to
fatuous participant

|| Truck is a '93 SR5 4x4, 290k, with the "wide tire" option. || || I have been having a ongoing issue with the brakes. They pulsate || when I stop. But not all the time. Some times I don't feel anything, || and others, I try not to spill my drink. 10k ago, I had them checked || out and the back drums where out and near the limit anyway so I had || them replaced with Toyota parts. The fronts where not out of round. || That fixed my problem for a bit at least. || || The problem is now back and resorting to random parts replacing. I || want to replace the front rotors and pads. || || Anyone have a aftermarket brand they like, or should I stick with || OEM? || || Thanks || -Eddie

For aftermarket, I'd go with Wearever... $58 a set, for both... but when putting the pads on, I too had the chattering, so I applied some grease to the caliper slide and that took away the chattering, well, either that or the new rotors worked....

Reply to
RedForeman ©®