01 Tahoe rotted rotors

My truck has 20K on it and the brake pads have plenty left, but the brakes have been getting softer and softer, so I finally took everything apart only to find that on a 3 year old truck the rotors had rotted and rusted out it the web area, anyone else have this problem?

Reply to
Ron

Ron,

Where do you live?

Reply to
HPGrn

I was under the impression that the 'new thicker GM

brake rotors from 99 & up (new body style Silverado/Tahoe)

were just great, but they may suffer performance loss

(soft pedal) IF the brake fluid gets contaminated...??

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

CT.

Reply to
Candy

As the metallic brake pads wear down and turn to dust, where do you suppose that metallic dust accumulates?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Number one the pad are not metallic number 2 I don't feel and neither do the local dealers feel that this is acceptibale.

Reply to
Candy

Really? What do you suppose they are then?

Acceptable or not, it's very common anywhere salt is used on the roads in the winter.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The dealer tells me now to expect a recall as this problem is now taking out the ABS sensors. From what I'm told this problem is very common with the rear rotors with trucks with as little as 10k miles, and GM has no fix other than go back to drums on the rear. All the dealers in my area are telling people with this problem to hold on to their recipts.

Reply to
Candy

That (ABS) problem is about ten years old. Metal dust sloughing off the pads combined with moisture creates rust that heaves the wheel speed sensors out of position resulting in erratic signals to EBCM.

Disc brakes on the rear of a pick-up truck is more flash than function.

Good advice.

Reply to
aarcuda69062