Why are Toyota's shares down 20%?

24/7 Wall Street

Over the last year, shares in Toyota (TM) are down well over 20%. The fact that GM (GM) and Ford (F) have fallen makes sense. They are still losing market share in a shrinking US car market.

Toyota has problems, but they are relatively less visible than they are at US car companies.

The big Japanese car company says it is increasing vehicle production

5% in 2008 to 9.85 million. But, inside those numbers, sales in its home market will be flat and overseas sales will be up 10%. Neither of those forecasts may work out.

Fuel prices in Japan are among the highest in the world. It does not have an significant supply of its own. It is at the mercy of global crude prices. If gas costs are higher next year, the Japanese consumer may just decide to keep his car until 2009 instead of spending a lot of money on a new one.

Toyota faces a similar problem outside Japan. Rising fuel costs in the US and Europe could actually drive car sales to negative growth in

2008. Toyota would then have to pick up substantial share to keep its forecasts.

Toyota is now up against competitors who have become desperate, especially in the US. That means better cars from American manufacturers and the potential of much higher incentives. Toyota cannot count on its reputation to offset a car price war in the US.

And, Toyota is the victim of its own success. As it builds manufacturing facilities around the world, it is less able to oversee quality control from Japan. The reputation of its cars has slipped in several recent surveys and it has had several recalls over the last 18 months.

Being No.1 in global cars sales may not be as nice a spot as Toyota had hoped it would be.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Another factor is that Toybloata decided to UP-Scale its vehicles, making them physically larger, bigger engines and thus less appealing to the 'mid-market' crowd.

I won't buy the 'new' Tacoma - it's now the same as the 'old' Tundra'. Toybloata doesn't have a car/truck I'd want!

Nomen Nescio found these unused words:

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Amen to that! I have a 98 Tacoma and when I see the new land barge Tacomas I just shake my head in disbelief. However they should appeal to the legions of obese Amerikans who dine on too much fast food in their hectic sedimentary lifestyle. Guess Toyota didn't learn from Ford when the original Mustang bloated into Oprah-ish proportions.

Reply to
Fuller Wrath

But . . . the '08's look C O O L, dude! Plus, compared to the competition's compact pick-ups, the mileage factor is still quite commendable, relatively that is.

Reply to
wallman

I just heard that Toyota is now #2, having passed Ford in sales for 2007. Of course to that I can only be amazed that Ford is even still around. But then there are lots and lots of sheeple.....

No doubt the new Tacomas are still above the rest of the competition in reliability but that doesn't excuse bloating the size up to nearly what the early Tundras were.

Reply to
Fuller Wrath

"wallman" found these unused words:

A truck (DC 4x4 in my case) is to be USED, take me somewhere and do something!

KMA367 about "KEWL" ... !!!

Try and get those barges into places I take my 2002 DC. Lots of Desert Pin Striping would be evident as well as some rock generated Side 'Decal' Striping.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

So's mine. It tows 4000 pounds on a regular basis and carries hardwoods, molding, and kayaks on an overhead rack. And it's not a double cab. ;^)

Reply to
B A R R Y

B A R R Y found these unused words:

But ... 2 people and three large dogs, camping and recovery gear (plus bed rack) in shell/topper, the DC is a good fit for the purpose of being days out, rarely seeing anyone.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

My point, exactly...

Your older, smaller DC, with it's lower tow rating and 5 foot bed doesn't meet my needs, but it meets yours.

A horse owner with an F350 dualie and a 9,000 pound trailer would say the same about my rig.

Reply to
B A R R Y

B A R R Y found these unused words:

Ummm, my tow rating is 5000 as I have the Class III DrawTite and package.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien