Why does my 4Runner heats up???

Today it was -18 in the north! while driving to work after 4 miles my

4Runner became real hot so imediately parked and turned off the iginition. I thought it could be the thermostat so I took out the thermostat and it world great the thermometer guage never moved 1/8th of an inch. SO I went to Toyota and picked up a new thermostat got home to install it and it never fit! they gave me the worng part. Put it back together and filled up the radiator with pure water but no anti-freeze. Now when I went back to Toyota to exchange the thermostat for the right one on the way my 4Runner bacme real hot... What could it be? Could it be that the water pump is not working or could there be an air bubble? Please help if you had such an experience...

Thanks Ken

Reply to
Ken Casler

ken, we need more info about your truck. year? engine? if you have the 22re (pre 1996 4cyl) then there's a simple explaination: the thermostat in the 22re is in a stupid location, it's right after the water return line from the heater core. this means that when it's real cold out and you're using the heater at full power, the thermostat sees only the cold water coming out of the heater core so it thinks the engine is cold and says closed. it happens to me on every cold day. i just put the fan to 1/2 power and the tempearature goes back to normal. roger brown

has a solution to move the thermostat, but i'm not that smart and don't want to attempt that.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

Hi Mike,

I have a V6 1995 4R 4WD... I took out the thermostat and filled the rad with water but the engine became very hot and I could hear the water bubbling and steam coming out of the radiator cap. What could be the reason for it to get hot. I thought if the thermostat is removed the engine should run cold and not hot.. Strange!!!!

Regards ken

Reply to
Gulshan Khan

Reply to
rmlishbrook

Have a look at this page:

Roger Brown

hmm, well i don't know if this is true with the toyota engines, but i have seen MG's that run hot without the thermostat. if you take the thermostat out, the water moves through too fast and doesn't get a chance to exchange heat with the engine. may happen with the 3vze too, but i don't know.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

That was the case it seems..... I have not changed the antifreeze for last 4 years and seems like it lost its effectiveness. I flushed the engine filled with 70/30 70% antifreeze and 30% water and since then its been working great.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Casler