4runner/22re igniters

I'm trying to replace the coil and igniter on an 86 4runner, I dont know what type it used to have in it. I called several Toyota dealers and yards, and they all say that 2 were made for it and none could tell me which one to use or not use, or even what the difference is between them. One igniter is a "53" and one is a "65". They cost $500 new. So I got a used 53 from a junkyard that swears it came from a good running vehicle. My vehicle starts with it, but conks out within

5 seconds, or as soon as I give it gas, whichever comes first. The vehicle ran fine before someone stole my coil/igniter.

Ideas?

Reply to
Joe

The igniter is good if you get spark. If the igniter is bad, there is no spark. Check base ignition timing.

Reply to
Ray O

If only I had something to check it with. I cant imagine why my timing would be off unless the new coil/igniter is involved somehow. Please explain?

Reply to
Joe

Base ignition timing is one of the basic things to check for the symptoms you are describing. Changing the coil or igniter should not disturb ignition timing unless you did something with the distributor.

Also check the air flow meter to make sure the flap moves smoothly, check the idle air control, look for cracks/gaps/holes in the black plastic snorkel between the air filter housing and throttle body, check the air filter, check for vacuum leaks, check fuel pressure and volume.

Reply to
Ray O

I went back and looked around and found the plug that goes to the air control meter (I think thats what it is anyway) was unplugged. Perhaps the scum were planning a return visit for more free parts when I rudely came back to town. I cant test it till tomorrow because I have to switch batteries from my other car, and I'm using that one today. But I'll bet the problem is solved now.

Reply to
Joe

That would do it!

Reply to
Ray O

And it did. Started up instantly after sitting for months and being abused by thugs.

Reply to
Joe