'71 Super oil pump question

Bought a bug for my daughter, trying to help it survive a 17 year old driver... I've been doing a little research on bugs since I bought it, but I still don't know jack about them.

I want to put a full flow oil pump on it. All the catalogs show them for dished or flat cam. how do I know which to get without tearing down the motor.

1600 dual port, pict-3 carb. That's the only way I know so far to ID the motor.

TIA Von Erik

Reply to
Von Erik

Beginning late in the '71 model year, the oil pump was made larger. To fit the thing in, the gear face on the camshaft had to be "scooped" out, thus "dished". This change began at Engine # AE 395938.

The engine # is no guarantee of what is actually in there, but it's the best place to start. Anyway, that's the history.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim. I was afraid of something like that since, from what I've read, '71 being a "transition" year and the Super introduced. I've been down this road before with Ford big blocks...

So... do I need to be looking at the letter or number designation in the engine code?

Thanks again Von Erik

Reply to
Von Erik

If you're engine is not an "AE" series, then it's not original. If it is AE, then look at the serial number part of it. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

hmm...i havent had my engine apart in a while...can you tell if you removed the oil pump?

-james

Reply to
jabobia

Oh yes, if you take the pump out (or just remove the cover), you can measure the gear size. The later gears are 26mm wide (thick). With the whole pump body out of the engine, you can see the "dish" in the cam gear.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hmmm.... I checked the code on the block (between the fuel pump and the generator stand, right?) It reads UO460568. According to Stijn's VW Madness Page at

it's a type 3. Interesting... Von Erik

Reply to
Von Erik