VW Magazines are getting weaker

Have to vent. Picked up the latest issue of Hot VWs and found it to be an incredible boor. The cronyism in that mag is getting to be too much. Is anyone really interested in a small group of aging surfers wallowing in the waves of San Onofre? The fluff factor is too much, especially when there are stories out there that need to be covered that the rest of the media, even the auto media ignore. Like, how about the effect that the cessation of of Beetle production in Mexico will effect the availability of parts for our cars? Or how about some stories on the declining quality of many parts on the market? Guess its safer to run stories about the latest group trip to Bad Camberg or run yet another feature on one of their crony's most recent $30,000 restoration /aberation.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I've been subscribing to VWT for awhile and occassionally pickup up HotVWs. I've also picked up Volksworld (but it's a pain to have to drive to Borders to get HVW or VW) and had a friend pick me up VochoMania (Mexican based mag) on occassion as well. They seem to be IMHO pretty much the same. I'll agree that there is too much of the over restored featured, but in general the magazines are OK. I see no drop. With VWT I enjoyed the articles on "splitting to Solvang and driving from LA to Bad Camberg, but in general - once is enough and what articles like this miss is the actual driving experience and scenery. At one point I almost stopped subscribing due to the over resto factor. However, in the past 1+ years, my opinion of the magazine is that they have improved on the tech side. Features on muffler performance and the like and I actually like when they feature a car, they actually ask a little bit about the owner as well. Their article putting an Okrasa and Judson powered 36 hp on a dyno held my interest.

General peeves with VWT (since it is the one I subscribe to) is that the show coverage tends to be glossed over - I often times do not see a photo of the "winning" bugs. It's kinda like - there's a nice one. What I'd really like to see is a step by step budget resto being done. Tips on how to save money in doing a resto, yet still come up with a quality job (they kind of did this, but relied on the VWT connection to not make it meaningful). I'd like that a lot more rather than the after results of a "professional" restoration. Although, even a before picture would be interesting in showing the professional restos. I'd also like to see some articles on engine building or discussion of what needs to be considered when selecting an engine. They've discussed engine issues, but in a piece-meal fashion with no continuity. Another peeve (with VWT) is that it does seem to have gotten awfully clique-y. Seems any old car featured has passed through the hands of the writer. I'd love to see something fresh. Hunt down that little old lady (or man) that has been driving the same beetle for the last 35 years. Do a contest to find the oldest continually driven VW in the US. Profile a VW junk yard. I mean something, anything quirky. Do some more in depth profiles. There is a human side to this. Absolutely discuss the implication on the industry of the bug no longer being produced.

But in general, there are only so many things to talk about and at least for me, an over restored VW I do not hold up as something to aspire to. It just makes me shake my head why someone would want to spend $40,000 on a $20,000 car. My personal opinion is that those cars should be held to a different standard when it comes to a show. Do they really need a trophy that bad?

AS for Vocho Mania. I do find the magazine to bit of a different magazine. Couple of times I've gotten it, tend to show more mildly modified SBs.

-DB

Reply to
DB

Indeed. Here is my rant

I'm subscribed to the british magazine Volksworld and it's great (nothin beats reading the last number with a beer on the couch), but lately I'm being more bored and bothered than usual.

I'm growing tired of freaky guys spending their family's life savings in making the perfect bug, bus, etc... did they do something themselves? most not, they send their beloved bugs to this and that (world experts on engine, bodywork, paintwork...) and finally the results are stunning. Well, of course! what did you expect?

I know this kind of articles serve as inspiration to many of us, but too much is too much. I miss more general articles on trends, availability of parts, whoever's trip around the world with a '67 camper or mechanical stuff. I know there is already a bit of that, but I mean more! and more useful! how many readers of Volksworld want to put a rollcage in their bugs?

Do not get me wrong, I think these guys are doing a great job, also organizing VW events, but I definetively do miss some variety.

Are american VW mags like this too?

Ant

Braukuche wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I personally like the American magazines. I know some of the guys that write for them, and it is not always easy on the family being gone every weekend covering a show. There is a new magazine out that has gotten rave reviews called Ultra VW. It can be found here.

I also sometimes wonder how some of the folks in the mags come up with the cash for their cars. Especially the 21 year old college student with $20,000 invested in his ride. I was reading a store in an old Motor Trend about how one of the editors had a cherry 67 Camaro that he sold at the Barrett Jackson Auction for $41,000. The reason for selling it was that he got married and the wife wanted a new Volvo SUV. I was feeling a little sorry for him until I read that he also has a cherry 66 Nova SS in the garage probably valued at about just as much...not that there is anything wrong with that..

Bill Berckman Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures

Bill Berckman

I also usually get Volksworld and sometimes UltraVW.

I own a van so there is not a lot in them that is of interest, like you say too many above show standard cars, yeah they are nice, but I live in the real world, even have to think of the cost for a new battery etc.

Having been to vanfest this year and seen the number of vans there, you would think that someone might come up with a mag just on vans, can keep hoping I suppose.

Would like to see more on normal run of the mill rides and what tweaks etc. the owners have done, more down to earth stuff. There is always room for some of these show cars, but some/most months everything is flash professional restorations.

Are well.... can always dream of winning the lottery or something.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Vines

You hit a nerve with me... The mag's show you how to DIY, but the featured cars are projects the owners farmed out everything. Some day maybe they'll an article on a real DIY project where the owner doesn't own a body shop or is a mechanic...

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (near completion)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

Reply to
Ilambert

You will never, ever, see such an article in either magazine if it involves the products of a potential advertiser.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

My own opinion is that Volksworld and Ultra VW are superior to the US ones, HVT and VWT. Although I believe that the staff and editorial change at VWT is resulting in a better megazine. Time will tell.

Sometimes you come upon decent articles, such as a last summer VWT one about rewiring, or the VWT one a few months back about sizing fasteners used in our ACVWs. And other times the content sound specifically like a rah-rah for an advertiser.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt

Or a current advertiser.

Which brings to mind an article in, I believe, HVW. This was a report on the Jacob's electronic ignition. In half a page which said nothing. The writer noted the easy installation and how well the engine idled. And that was about it. Nothing about if the claims of gas economy and horse power increases were valid. What a waste of space.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt