What weight oil for cooler temperatures?

You can come pretty close...30wt HDEO. Again, these motors were designed when 30 and 40 wts were the norm. Just about all of the "typical" oils (i.e. Castrol GTX, HD, Valv. Penn, etc.) are nothing like they were even 5 years ago. Also, my experience with 4 & 6cyl Porsche motors is that some of the multi visc. oils, when heat cycled a couple of times in a comparitively high-temp aircooled motor, tends to revert to it's original state (a 20-50 for example, tends to revert to a 20 wt, losing a good part of its viscosity additives.) If you haven't, go to Bob is the Oil Guy . com and check out the thousands of posts on this specific subject. You'll find that a substantial number of the posters prefer a very low viscosity multiweight in a performance, aircooled motor - even under track conditions. Now look at the cars they list as owning: Saturns, Toyota pickups, etc. Always easy to give "cutting edge" advice when someone else is out there picking up pieces of a fragmented motor. Bottom line is the choice is up to the individual owner. At the risk of being oldfashioned, I'll stick with a one-piece crankshaft.

Reply to
Bill

yep, I've always said, folks are only "set in their ways" because it has "worked" for them... that said, i've run 10-30 castrol in my aircooleds for many years... and I, too, like my crankshafts in one piece...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

There just doesn't seem to be a lack of toys for me to play with,

one is a type one powered John Dear lawn tractor about half done its to much fun. and riding around on a Motocomp siutcase scooter. This one was shiped from Japan.

stay tuned for our next exciting episode where we talk about how a 16 yr old hit me on the way to the lake.

Reply to
Kafertoys

sorry wrong post

what I get for typing while bidding for stuff on e-bay

I use castrol diesel oil > There just doesn't seem to be a lack of toys for me to play with, >

Reply to
Kafertoys

of course not, sanding blocks and spreaders come in bulk...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani