1992 Volvo 240 Never Again!!!!

1992 240 Volvo Wagon. B23F Austomatic.

Have spent countless $$$'s on people who think they know what they are doing. Repalaced just about every sensor, computer and whatever on the bloody thing. Have left with qualified mechanics for 12 weeks for thorough diagnosis and tests and they report it now fixed. Drove it home from mechanic and it took two restarts just get home

15kms. The car will just cut out. Will not start until until the ignition is off and key removed. Then starts first time. You must remove ignition key. Dangerous when in main road and freeway traffic. Its a bit spasmotic but think it mainly happens when car reaches temperature. Throttle position sensor is the latest replacement.

Doubt that is fuel pump. Has to be a relay or electronic sensor we haven't found yet. Maybe bad wiring harness.

Anybody out there have any clues.

Bobg

Reply to
bob

Having been through much the same thing with a '91 940 B200 I think/hope I've solved it on mine. In start at one end and work through everything mode I took out fuse n° 1 for the injection as I did so it slipped out of my fingers and fell inside the transmission tunnel, so I fitted a new one, at the same time I took out the fuel injection relay and cleaned the connections, the car now seems to be cured but I have left the ash tray and cigar lighter out so I can get at then fuses/relays quickly, perhaps that also improves the airflow around the them. I do believe it's heat related. As we have 35°C + every day at the moment.

DC

Reply to
Dave Cotton

I have a similar type of problem in that my engine will just cut out without any notice. It is usually when the vehicle is idling but once or twice has happened while going a long steadily in traffic. Scary stuff!

It can go for days without missing a beat then cutout two or three times in a short trip. It will always start again if left for about 30 seconds.

Mechanic kept it for several days and gave it back saying there was a choice of about 3 things that would be the cause. He didnt know which it would be. Each would cost big $s to replace and may not solve the problem.

Any thoughts on this one will be graciously accepted

Thanks muchly