1992 Volvo 240 or 1999 Chevy Lumina

Have a choice to buy either. 240 has 155K miles, Lumina has 90K. Same price and options. Which would you buy for comfort reliability, durability, etc. Thanks!

Reply to
Steve

No question, the Volvo. How can you even ask? ;-) At 155K miles, the Volvo is barely broken in. At 90K, the Lumina is almost used up.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

You're asking on a Volvo group, the answer you'll get here should be obvious.

240s are legendary for their longevity and comfort and '92 is near the last ones they made so fairly refined.
Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the insight - much appreciated. I have a 1991 740 Wagon that has proven to not be a good buy due to costly repairs over the years and was hoping to hear the 240 would likely be a better investment. Sounds like it should.

Reply to
Steve

I have paid a bit under $1000 per year in repair and maintenance costs for my 1990 240, which I have owned for four and a half years. In that time I have put 56000 miles on it and it now has 160K miles. While that seems expensive, it's still at least four times less expensive than car payments for a new car. If I was a bit more mechanically inclined and had tools and somewhere to work on it, I could have cut those maintenance and repair costs in half quite easily. A 240 is pretty easy to work on.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

hi i live in denmark next to sweden and we have the higest tax on autos. my Volvo is from 1984 and most of the people i know say that a volvo of that kind should alt least go 500.000 km. Our Volvo 240 GL Aut. has gone 180.000 km, we have winther and a lot of salt on the roads(sweeden is worse), have to check the old cars every 2 years, last time they saíd, - no problem with rust, please check the the thickness the body, allmost 3 times as thick as new cars(1.450kg), who needs airbags ?

155 K miles match 90.000 km, -go ahead

regards Svend

P. S The price for a used Volvo in denmark

00&t=2&aid@30&eidA7068&mo=v70&l=2.4&at=0 2000 Volvo V70 2.4 Classic, 5d, 5g, Benzin, St. car, 140 HK 1. Indregistreret: 02/2000 Kilometerstand: km 145.000 Farve: Bordeaux metal DKK 176.000 match 26.619,48 USD adn by the way 1 liter petrol cost 1,37 USD, 1 gallon cost 5,19 USD in denmark

"Steve" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SEJ