2.5L B5254T2 motor, as in XC70. How does it differ from the older B5344T3?

Some 2003 XC70 [from Aug 2003 on?] and the 2004 models have the 2.5L motor, B5254T2, [154kw, 320nm].

Any comments about this motor? How does it differ from the older B5344T3 [147kw, 285nm]?

Thanks,

Jim Kelly.

Reply to
Jim Kelly

Rob Guenther

That makes sense. My 850-T5 has more power and less weight than the xc and I don't think of it as a powerful car. Hopefully the 5 speed auto (over the T5's 4 speed) and a little extra torque make it comparable in acceleration? Plenty of inexpensive cars with v6 motors have more power, let alone those with v8 motors! It's a pity that these expensive 'luxury' vehicles don't have a bit more grunt!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Reply to
Jim Kelly

I guess it depends on what you want. I'm used to driving slow cars, so when I get into the 960 I feel like it's a rocket of a car... I've been in a

197hp V70 with the 5 speed auto, it felt pretty damn quick to me... Then again you might find it slow, who knows.

Personally I'm glad Volvo isn't in that outrageous horsepower competition, by cramming in overpowered V6's into their cars.... Who needs something like

240hp in a Honda Accord???
Reply to
Rob Guenther

The numbers tells you alot about the engine. B for Benzin / Gasoline, 5 = 5 cylinders, 25 = 2,5 lit. , 4 = valves per cylinder. T2 = Low pressure turbo gives you B5254T2

How does it differ from the older B5344T3 [147kw, 285nm]? Do you mean B5234T3? That should give you a 5 cylinder 2,3 L 20valve head and high pressure turbo. Here in norway it gives you a output of 230HP later model 250 HP.

Reply to
Svenni & Nina

Sorry. Perhaps the older motor in the XC is a B5244T3 [147kw,

285nm]?

I am considering getting an XC70. Some 2003 XC70 [from Aug 2003 on?] and the 2004 models have the 2.5L motor, B5254T2, [154kw, 320nm]. Any comments about these motors would be helpful. What is the significance of the T3 changing to a T2??

Thanks,

Jim Kelly

20valve head | and high pressure turbo. Here in norway it gives you a output of

| > Any comments about this motor? | > How does it differ from the older B5344T3 [147kw, 285nm]? | >

| > Thanks, | >

| > Jim Kelly. | >

| |

Reply to
Jim Kelly

The new models with the bigger more powerful low pressure turbo motors have been shipping for over six months now but I have seen no comments here about how the new motor differs from the old mechanically, etc. The increase in torque is especially considerable. Can we expect the same reliability, fuel consumption, etc?

2003 2.4L, B5244T3 [147kw, 285nm]

2004 2.5L, B5254T2, [154kw, 320nm]

Also,what is the significance of the T3 changing to a T2?? I am always wary of model number changes in this world of incesant cost cutting, but especially so when the numbers get smaller! New is not always better unfortunately.

I am considering buying a new or near new XC70 and trying to gauge how much extra it is reasonable to pay for the new motor with it's extra power. (It seems that it is worth shelling out more for the Haldex AWD that accompanies it, too). I have presumed that the gearbox remains the same.

Any comments about these motors would be helpful, especially from folks familiar with both.

Thanks,

Jim Kelly.

Reply to
Jim Kelly

To kick this discussion along I have found the USA specs for the

2.5L: Horsepower 208 @ 5000 rpm Torque (lb-ft) 236 @ 1500-4500 rpm
Reply to
Jim Kelly

From what I've heard the engines are basically the same inside (aside from the bigger pistons), there's been a few modifications to make the block a little stiffer to make the engine smoother.

Don't worry too much about the number after the "T" - that just designates a different state of tune. First there'd be the B5244T, then they'd change the tune - maybe for tax reasons, maybe for a more sporty model, then they'd call this version the B5244T2.

Reply to
Mike F