2001 D5 S80 - Tow Bar and electrics

HI folks

Looking to buy an S80 as per the header. It is at a distance so cannot just nip round for a look.

Does any one know if the 2001 Volvo tow bar came with thirteen or seven pin electrics in the UK

TIA

Dave

Reply to
David

I don't know for sure, but would guess 7 pin. Is the car you're (possibly) buying already equipped for towing? If so, are you sure that it's got the official Volvo towbar and electrics - because there are 3rd party alternatives available?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Word of warning: I had a 3rd party towbar fitted to my 850 by a muffler and tow-bar shop. The clowns who installed it, wired the trailer electrics into the rear lights. BEHIND the control relay ... 3 years later, the relay melted down. $150 for a new 2nd hand relay from a wrecker's yard, $300 for the auto electrician to set things right, and the stink from the melted relay lingered for a year or so in the boot. I would've been better off getting the Volvo shop to put an original part in .....

f.w.i.w. -Peter

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Yes, indeed. You can't just wire the trailer lights in parallel with the car's rear lights because that will upset the bulb failure unit - which is presumably the 'relay' to which you refer. That doesn't mean that you *have* to use the official Volvo wiring kit - there *are* satisfactory alternatives, as long as you - or whoever installs it - knows what you/they are doing.

Most current third party systems provide their own relay, which is triggered by a very small current taken from the existing lamp circuits, and thus doesn't upset anything. My 2007 V70 is equipped with such a system.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes it equipped for towing with a genuine Volvo tow bar. I have physically seen the car, test drove it etc. but forgot to look at the electrics. It just did not occur to me until a friend said it could be 13 pin.

It is 100 plus miles trip to go see the car I live in the far North of Scotland. Hey ho guess I'll find out on Wednesday when I pick it up!

Dave

Reply to
David

What are you going to tow with it, and what plug(s) does that have? Assuming the car is 13pin, and that you have a caravan with 2 x 7-pin plugs, you can get Y-piece adapters which should work ok. Or, if you only want to tow *one* trailer/caravan, you could rewire that with a 13-pin plug.

My ancient caravan and small trailer (which I use for taking rubbish to the tip) both have 7-pin plugs - so I'm very happy that my 2007 V70 (with 3rd party electrics) has 2 x 7-pin sockets. [I have modified the caravan wiring to the latest spec - to separate the earth returns on the 7S etc.]

If you have a caravan, what age is it? ISTR that the 7S wiring spec changed in about 1998 so - whatever combination of plugs and sockets you end up with, you'll need to make sure that everything is compatible, and adjust if necessary.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I will be towing a 2006 Bessacarr. Well aware of the specs etc. I will re-wire the caravan to 13 pin if the car has that. Not keen on adapters.

Dave

Reply to
David

Should be fine . . . unless you ever want to tow amything else.

Reply to
Roger Mills

How does the rear suspension cope when towing your caravan?

Been towing with 4x4 for 20 year so need to trim the noseweight to get down to

75kg!

Dave

Reply to
David

No problem - but the rear suspension on the V70 (estate) is almost certainly stiffer than that on the S80 (saloon).

I have a real struggle to get my noseweight down to 75Kg. For example, there's no way I can carry more than one gas bottle in the front locker of my Bailey Pageant Magenta, and stay legal!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I was out this PM trying things out with the gauge. Found exactly that! Going to try the van on the car before making adjustment!

Do you have the D5? I have read that the suspension on the D5 was firmer than the petrol versions.

Dave

Reply to
David

On these cars, the towing wiring is connected to the rear fuse box with a plug rather than directly wired in. If the car has 13-pin electrics, you should be able to purchase the 7-pin version of the towbar wiring and swap it in.

-- Rich

Reply to
Richard Crewe

Thanks Richard but rewiring the van is by far the cheaper way to go and 13 pin is a better solution in my view.

Dealer contact made at last. I now know it is a 13 pin so can buy the bits I need!

Thanks folks for your replies

Dave

Reply to
David

Yes, my 2007 V70 is the D5 Special Edition Sport - with the 185PS engine and

6-speed manual gearbox[1]. I think the 'Sport' models have firmer suspension, anyway. TBH, the ride when driving around solo is pretty appalling, but load it up - and it comes into its own. [1] Suprisingly, it will chug along in 6th on a motorway quite happily with the caravan in tow, with the engine only doing about 2000 RPM at relatively light throttle
Reply to
Roger Mills