240 DL vinyl upholstery repair

I have a 1986 240 DL wagon with blue vinyl upholstery. The drivers seat has several rather large tears in the vinyl. The backing is still holding, barely. What is the best adhesive/patch product to put on these tears to seal them up, not look to bad, and not facilitate further tear outs? I want to do this myself. I know how to remove the upholstery material from the seat and am willing to do it to get the best repair. Any informed tips greatly appreciated.

Reply to
<mr.insister

Hello:

As you mention you can remove the upholstery yourself, your best bet would be to do that and then buy enough at a supplier to recover the seat--and then take it to a friendly neighborhood shoe and leather repair place in your neighborhood. Give them the old seat covering and the new material and ask how much they will charge.

I did that for a seat cushion repair on a 240 of mine recently and they charged me $20 and did a great job.

An auto upholstery shop might not be willing to do this as they count on the labor for removing the old material and doing a bit of markup on the materials--as they need to if they are to remain in business.

Still, you never know and may wish to ask them or a local upholstery shop not necessarily auto related if they will do the sewing.

I suppose much of this depends on where you live and the availability of craftspeople.

In my case, the owner of the shoe repair shop was pleased to do it as he has repaired shoes for me and likes my dog (who always comes with me to the shop.) He did say he'd have to look at the leather before he agreed to do the job, but was pleased with what I brought.

Good Luck

Doc

Reply to
doc

get real.

goto your closest yard and pay 30-50 for replacement seats. just do it, or live with what you have. there is *no* realistic way to repair splintered, cracked, torn seats... believe me, i've tried!

js

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote: : :>I have a 1986 240 DL wagon with blue vinyl upholstery. The drivers seat :>has several rather large tears in the vinyl. The backing is still :>holding, barely. What is the best adhesive/patch product to put on these :>tears to seal them up, not look to bad, and not facilitate further tear :>outs? I want to do this myself. I know how to remove the upholstery :>material from the seat and am willing to do it to get the best repair. :>Any informed tips greatly appreciated.

[...]

AND Books

Good luck finding any that aren't just as bad. Best route short of reupholstering the seats is to get some good quality covers for them.

Reply to
James Sweet