740 electrical surprise

Thanks to the group for the excellent advice re my 740. I was experiencing complete loss of electrical power when I made a sharp left turn. As suggested, I checked where the ground strap was routed by the under engine supports.

I was just poking around, and got a shower of sparks! The power and the ground were routed side by side, and insulation had apparently worn between both cables, such that with the right motion, you had a full on short circuit. The ground cable was almost completely severed. I replaced both cables after disconnecting the battery, and all is well now. I was surprised to see that both positive and negative cables spent so much time so close. If you experience intermittent shorts, check this out! I'm surprised I didn't have a complete meltdown.

Allen

Reply to
Allen

there is a service campaign #78 from 07/1996 you will have to have your Volvo dealer check your vin # to see if your vehicle qualifies for this recall

Reply to
G Klein