Help removing a CR-718 radio/cass. from a 92 740 wagon

My son's learning to drive and the original radio/cassette player in it won't do for him. So he bought a garage sale Pioneer CD player for $10 and wants me to get it installed ASAP. I'd like to do it myself. Can anyone tell me how to remove the original cr-718 from the dash? It's got what looks like two access holes on the sides of the front of the unit. Many thanks from me and my anxious son.

Reply to
piergud

Yep, I can help,

I have a similar 740. I also was not too thrilled with the factory deck. I decided to replace it, and wound up removing the trim around the infernal thing. Theorettically, you should be able to insert a LARGE paper clip or something in the access holes, but I had no luck and found that if the knobs, EQ slider buttons etc. are removed, the face plate comes right off, and removal is a snap. Do yourself a fovor though and just buy, ( and yes, wait for delivery from Crutchfeld or some similar source) a wiring harness kit and trim. There are some very interesting and very SMALL wiring things going on there. Not the least of which I can tell you, is the switched power supply, which is yet to be figured out, and the fact that all of the speakers seem to share a ground. I severed the factory harness, and wound up having to run speaker cable to all four corners, and oh yeah, I still have to manually shut off the stereo even after the key is switched off. Don't get caught doing this procedure, it sucks. Save yourself a couple of days, and just get the harness, Unless your time isn't worth much, In which case would ya please let me know where the switched power is?

Best luck,

-Zeke-

Reply to
Zeke