740 pinion seal

I was ready to do this yesterday. Did some research at brickboard and figured I had all the info and tools and the replacement seal to get it done.

I never expected the label on the differential housing would be missing! I removed what little undercoating was there just in case it was a small label, most undercoating is long gone to rust. There is no label to read. Help!

Is there any other way to determine if my car has a compression sleeve or not? From what I have read there is a big torque difference on the nut when putting this back together again. I have read that if my car has the compression sleeve it needs 49 ft-lbs on the nut. If it is the no sleeve type it needs 148 ft-lbs. I am at a loss on how to proceed. Thanks for all replies.

p.s. Is a new nut just a "be safe" thing, or a strongly advised item to do? I sure do want to have a failure because of a nut.

Reply to
newtovolvo

newtovolvo wrote in news:20050530151453.165$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsreader.com:

Forgot to add - this is a 90 model year with an 8 valve engine, non turbo.

Reply to
newtovolvo