Help: 850 CV-joint Halfshaft re-assembly

I got a re-manufactured half shaft assembly for the passenger side (right side). I have tried to re-insert the new half shaft in the transmission. It is not fully in the transmission. How can I push it in there? Is there a trick.

I did not have any difficulty pulling the old one. However, the new one one does not want to get fully in.

Thank you.

Reply to
L. M.

I've only ever done that once, but the axle just slipped in with no problem... Can you compare new to old? Look for damage on the splines.

Reply to
Mike F

I went to a local Volvo part supplier (voluparts.com). They told me that the axle that I got from NAPA has been re-built wrong. From the mid CV-joint to the transmission, it looks like it is for a V70 AWD. From the mid CV-joint to the outer CV-joint is for a 850. I bought an new axle from them and returned the other one to NAPA. That new axle fit in the transmission easily. It took me 45 min to finish the job.

Changing the axle is too difficult provided that you have the right tools and an new axle that fits.

Thank you.

Leo M.

Reply to
L. M.