760 broken shifter

Last night when making a K turn my car's auto tranny's shifter felt tight going from drive into reverse . Then the shifter's button went up high with the spring visible, and it now will not go into park and barely goes into reverse, although it goes into Neutral and Drive positions normally. When it is in reverse it barely gets past the Neutral position and not into the proper reverse slot and then goes no further. I didn't try to force it to go too much further as the effort is very high. The shifter was normal and new shifter bushings were put on about a year and a half ago. Right now I'm parking and starting in neutral and using the park brakes

Does anyone know what happened and if this is an easy and inexpensive fix? Car is 1990 760.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

I'm guessing the rear engine (transmission) mount has failed, and the tranny has shifted sideways enough to bind everything up. If you crawl under the car near the front seats (yummy!) you will see where the tail of the tranny crosses a hefty cross-member. The two are joined by a rubber puck with metal endplates. If the metal plate of one side has torn away from the puck - I think it has - heaving the tranny sideways so they come close to aligning should get the shifter working again. Repair is the obvious - replacement of that bad mount. It is a modest DIY project if you have a floor jack, or less than an hour at a shop.

Mike Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee