85 240 DL Not so good mileage on recent rebuild

Hey all,

Recently rebuilt my buddy's 85 240 DL engine (2.3L F version) auto trannie. Did all tune up parts including:

Timing Belt, Motor Mount, Rod Bearings,Piston Rings Wire Set, Rotor, Cap, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs Air Filter, and Coil. Also, new ECM wire harness (updated due to the crappy insulation on the factory one) and gave the ICM wire harness a little help as well, though we did not replace it.

When we reset the timing, we noticed that it was pretty lazy to advance on sharp throttle up. Kinda weird, but we tuned it to as close to 12 degrees +/-2 as we could. The idle was also a little shaky, so that made it more difficult.

After doing this, I got about 150kms on 24 Litres of fuel, to me this is pretty lousy mileage. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience and can let me know:

  1. Is this acceptable fuel economy for this car?

  1. Is it possible that the Ignition control module is faulty or needs to be replaced or looked at?

Thanks t

Reply to
disallow

Hi,

Regarding your fuel consumption, 150 km on 24 litres is atrocious! That's equivalent to 16 litres per 100 km. Your consumption should be closer to 10 litres per 100 km.

A couple of questions: Is black smoke pouring out of the exhaust?! Are the brakes dragging??

Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

No. My dad's '83 244 (B23A engine) needs about 9.5l to 10.5l/100km, so somewhere around 15l should be enough for 150km.

Groetjes,

Maarten

Reply to
Maarten De Munck

I notice the mileage really goes down hill on that fuel system when the oxygen sensor stops working. This sends the computer to a default fuel map that is quite rich.

Reply to
Mike F

No black smoke, and its running relatively well after the timing was readjusted. Maybe I just need to drive it a bit.

Brakes are not dragging, we checked.

On the rear tires, is this a limited slip differential? Just noticed that when we spin one tire, the other one does not move very much, whereas on a normal diff, it would spin in the opposite direction.

disallow

Is there a way to test the O2 sensor?

disallow

Are you sure the cam timing is good? As in, does the notch on the cam gear line up with the notch on the cylinder head when the crankshaft is TDC? The engine will run with the cam advanced one or two notches on the belt, but with worse mileage. It will also run with the cam retarded by one or two notches, but with slightly improved mileage and reduced power.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Timing is bang on, marks line up perfectly. I noticed that the timing advance on quick throttle is a little 'lazy'. In other words, it doesn't advance as quickly as it could, I wonder if the ICM is a little lazy?

I will have to drive it some more. I have to keep very close tabs on where I am driving, since the speedometer is not working. Otherwise I don't know how far I have driven! lol

disallow

Perhaps it's just the expansion of the universe affecting your indirect measurement of mileage. For all the work you've done on the car, ya' might as well fix the speedometer.

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Very funny... :)

The big question on this car (not mine, my buddy's) was where to draw the line. As of now, he is outta cash, so whatever else is wrong and can't be 'tweaked', is gonna have to wait.

disallow

If you have a high impedance analog voltmeter with a 0-1 volt scale, then the oxygen sensor output (black wire) should jump back and forth several times per second, centered around .45 V, after warmup. Digital meter displays don't refresh quickly enough to show this, but if you only have a digital meter, then if it jumps around and stays below 1 volt, then it's probably working.

Reply to
Mike F