85 240 GL non turbo saga

Hey all,

Havin some fun with my buddy's 85 240, it sat in a snow bank all winter due to unavailability of some parts. It first cacked out in the middle of nowhere, and we couldn't figure out what happened. The timing belt snapped, the key on the crank was bent, leading us to believe there was a failure of a rod bearing or something of that nature.

However, it still turned over manually. Meaning no bent valves (WHEW!) and visual inspection from underneath with no oil pan did not reveal any internal damage, it all looked brand new. So we figured the timing belt tensioner must given out, replaced it and put a new t-belt on. Fired her up and holy smokes she was makin a bad noise! Didn't know what it was, but sounded alot like a rod bearing again.

So what was actually wrong? It wasn't the rod bearings. Upon disassembly, we noticed that the bolts connecting the trannie (automatic) and the engine were almost all broken. There are 8, and all but 3 were busted.

So now we have the whole bloody car in pieces in the garage, and we decide to fix it. Since the engine is now in a million pieces, we figured it would be a good time to replace anything that showed any wear. My first mistake. It took over 4 months for the crank bearings and piston rings and some other parts to come in. Guess we went with the wrong supplier.

So, anyways, the car sat outside in a snowbank on the street for the last 6 months (engine and trannie were in the garage). We FINALLY got the parts in, put it all back together..... and NOTHING. won't fire up. Here's what we have done so far:

Ignition Coil (too much resistance, needed replacement)$30 Distributor Cap (center pin busted) $10 Plug wires (mismatched) $40 Fuel filter (old) $30

Also noticed the Main Fuel relay was not working. Is this a common problem? I have a honda, they are famous for main relay probs. Plus the relay is like $100!!! Is there a way to fix it?

We were wondering about bad gas too, its not coming out clear...

Also, any ideas on what else might be causing us problems?

Thanks, sorry for the novel of a post...

disallow

The relay is a fairly common problem, the solder joints on the circuit board inside it crack. Replacement is about $50, but repair is dead easy if you know someone with a soldering iron and some rosin core solder (as opposed to acid core plumbing solder).

So I assume you've verified that it does have a spark and that the ignition timing is not 180 degrees off? The fuel pump relay should pull in when it gets a signal from the hall sensor in the distributor, this should start up the fuel pump. If the pump doesn't run, check the connections right at the pump, and of course clean all the fuses in the fuse panel, after sitting outside in nasty weather for so long there's a very good possibility that they're corroded. Oh don't forget to check the blade fuse on the left fender well over near the battery.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes it has spark, actually it seems like the injectors are stuck. We were thinking of jumping them just to get them unstuck, if they were sitting all winter with bad gas in them there could be a lot of varnish in them, right?

Thanks for the other tips. Keep em coming! need all the help I can get on this one...

Thanks t

Reply to
disallow

I suppose it's possible, though I've never seen stuck injectors. Have you checked for voltage at one of the injector plugs? You should get something when the engine cranks, a 12v test light should flicker when connected across the plug. Don't forget to check that fuse under the hood, it powers the injection system and is a very common failure.

Reply to
James Sweet

Follow up: the problem was the wiring harness going to the ignition ECU under the hood.