850 T5 boost problem

When the weather gets cold (below +7 C = +45 F), my T5´s turbo starts to give too much boost. Only a very, very minor push to the gas pedal is needed to get the car run like hell. If I push the pedal to the end, the ECU starts to cut fuel. When weather gets warmer, the problem disappears.

The engine temperature does not effect at all, it´s the same if the engine is cold or warm.

Help!????

Reply to
Swedupelle

Your car has electronic control of the wastegate. Check the hose from the wastegate actuator to a valve mounted up near the air filter box. This hose clips into a small strap on the back of the engine. From that valve, follow the other 2 hoses, one to the turbo, one to the air intake hose. Make sure all 3 hoses are in good shape and clear inside. This is a lot easier said than done.

Reply to
Mike F

I suggest just replacing the hoses, they're just normal vacuum line aren't they?

Reply to
James Sweet

This is a similar problem to the T5 not boosting at all, and not unusual.

For some strange reason, the boost pressure sensor is mounted several feet away from the turbo, at the end of a very long and thin hose (it routes near the radiator and the air filter, but you'll have to find it by tracing it from the manifold - there are any number of thin black hoses under there).

If this hose falls off, you lose boost. If it blocks (usually owing to water inside it freezing), then you get over-boost. Try blowing through it (ideally with some dry air) and checking the connections.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The only problem with that is if there was nothing wrong with the hoses in the first place, then you won't have fixed your problem. I think they're just normal vacuum hoses, you just have to make sure you get the right size.

Reply to
Mike F