850 TDi auto MPG

Anyone give me a clue if the 850 TDi auto saloon (1996) I picked up last week is doing about the correct mpg i.e. at the moment (having done about 200 miles since getting it) it's showing 36.8mpg, that's in UK miles and gallons.

I had hoped for slightly better since my other 850 which is a 1995 2.5

10v manual estate does 32mpg average.

BTW the driving round here (Scottish highlands) is very little in town but a lot of up and down hills averaging about 40-45 mph.

Reply to
Bill Mclaren

Mine manual 855TDI 1996 average (for the last 3 yrs) is 6.5 l/100km. Not much in town, and doing about 18000 km a year.

Automatic should be 10-20% percent more I suppose (of course same consditions)

Sorry don't have time to recalc it now...

Reply to
HAL9000F

You're getting pretty much what I would expect from a TDI auto.

Whats the mileage on the car? It may benefit from a proper setting up with regard to injectors, pump delivery, timing and boost pressure, but you'll probably only see another 1 to 2 mpg benefit.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I make that to be 43.4mpg (Imperial) so I suppose I'm not doing that badly i.e. 15% down at roughly 37mpg, I'd hoped to break the 40mpg barrier but....

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Mclaren