850 vibration

Hi, my 850 estate @ 153k miles is producing a little vibration. It's not engine related and not, wheel balance as there's no movement of the steering wheel which I would expect.

I'm suspecting at this age that it's more of a worn suspension component. I haven't got round to checking ball joints (although I did do one last Boxing Day) or other suspension bushes but just thought I'd ask the group if there are known favourite worn bits at this sort of mileage.

I do all my work on my Saab 9000, just haven't had to do much on the Volvo as it has always been serviced regularly but I'd like to take a look at this issue rather than pay for a few bushes to be changed if that's what this one is.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I don't think you can rule out wheel imbalance because you don't feel it in the steering wheel. What if it is a rear wheel? The last time I had a vibration in my Volvo, it turned out to be from a bulge in the inner sidewall of a rear tire. Good thing I caught it before the tire blew at highway speed.

Reply to
Marvin

the steering

thing I caught

Well fair point although i've had plenty of out of balance wheels in the past and it's nothing like those but yes I should check - so I will :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Be a bit more specific- is it at all speeds? Does it increase, decrease or stop when accelerating, braking, or turning? Does it's frequency coincide with speed? Front of car? Rear of car? Do you feel it? Do you hear it? That car is font wheel drive, no? It could be a CV joint.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Certainly resonant, more pronounced at say between 40 to 50, less so at

It's not severe, just there.

Yep could be that, like I said, was just wondering if there were any common wear items on the 850 at that sort of age, like I said, I know all about the 9000 and what goes when, just don't know the popular items on the 850. If there's nothing in the popular category, I'll go and investigate.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

On 850's the top engine mount (engine stay) bushing breaks and allows a vibration that can be heard but not felt in the car.

Bob

Reply to
User

Fortunately, I know nothing about working on Saabs! ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Yep, had that one a while ago. :)

Reply to
David Taylor

How does that comment help the chap?? Judging by your posts, NOTHING could be worse than the car you just bought - maybe you should have bought a SAAB.

Reply to
John Smith

I was trying earlier in the thread to assist by giving a number of probing questions that might have helped me (or anyone else) to narrow down the source of the problem- try reading an entire thread before jumping in and making rude comments. If you will also please take note, my comment was followed by what is commonly known as a "winky face" -> ;-) indicating that the comment was made in jest.

As far as my car, my posts have been made in an attempt to a)find and solve my problem, and b) to share the experience so that subsequent people with the same difficulty could do so more easily. If you understood cars or had worked on them for any length of time [it is possible that you have, but your posts don't seem to indicate that] you would understand how difficult it can be to diagnose a failing (but not failed) AMM. Even some experienced mechanics here commented that the failure of the AMM in that way was difficult to diagnose, and that the passing of the two standard tests for it had thrown them off as well as they had me.

And what about the calling the kettle black? How about your positive contributions to the group? Let us examine them together. They have most recently included:

But you replied anyway with, "Sorry, not sure about the wiring."

"You won't be disappointed but there aren't many fans of the V/S40 on this newsgroup so don't hold your breath waiting for replies." But you talk about how it seems to be eating motor mounts like breath mints- I certainly would be disappointed if that were the case with a car I had purchased.

"Sounds like you are driving a lemon!!"

This group is populated by helpful and generous people who have contributed a mass of excellent hints, tips, and advice. Over the past three years or so I would like to think I have been part of that mass of assistance to others. Based on the above quotes taken from your previous posts of recent date, if everyone here followed your standards of "helpful comments," this group would be bordering on useless.

If you have a problem with my posts, feel free to place me in your killfile.

And my car is running great, shifting like new, and a joy to drive as well. Even my wife could feel the diffeence riding in the passenger's seat. I even just installed new rear shocks this afternoon which made a big difference. I might post a message about the installation, so take care not to read it.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Guys! Relax, the comment was taken in good humour.

The amusing thing is that the reason I know all about my Saabs is that i've had to do stuff on them. I've never had to do anything with the Volvo - ok I lie, last MOT I had to change one front lower track control arm because the ball joint had worn, a track rod and and a CV gaitor and have replaced the discs all round but other than that, it has just gone through life with scheduled maintenance at a workshop and been no trouble.

I don't want to get monotonous by saying it again but my post was just in case there were frequent wear items, I wondered if someone was going to pop up and say "sure, the xyz bushes always fail around that mileage" but i'm happy and competent enough to poke around and investigate. I just don't ever have to bother that much which says a lot for our old 850.

Oh I forgot, apart from the 850 A/C evapourator replacement 4 years ago but we don't talk about that regular fail item do we?! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Am reminded of that quote

"Never argue with idiots - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

Thanks for reminding me about the kill file though - DONE ??

JS

Reply to
John Smith