86 DL sedan brake problems

Months and months ago my 86 DL sedan was loosing brake fluid for some reason. I never could find the leak. It stopped losing fluid all of the sudden after filling the reservoir a few times with maybe 8 oz. total of fluid.

Now, several months later the brake pedal went way down suddenly as my wife was driving the car and coming to a stop. It pushes very easily and the brake failure light is now on. The car still stops but only by pushing the brake pedal down a lot further.

Could this sudden occurrence have been from the loss of a brake pad? I mention that because when I tap on the pedal quickly, I hear kind of a knocking. Should I look for something else?

There does seem to be a little leakage at the bottom of the power brake booster but not any kind of steady leak. I don't see (yet) any dampness around any of the wheels or lines.

Before I get started checking each wheel, one by one, does anyone have a suggestion on what I should check first?

Thanks,

Jay

861 doesn't belong in my email address...
Reply to
Jay C.

Your master cylinder has failed and the vacumn booster is sucking out the brake fluid through the rear seal. Don't drive the car until it is repaired.

Harold

Reply to
Grtdane

Thanks so much for the warning and heads-up. I'll get right on it.