93 960 PNP Done

Just finished replacing he PNP/Neutral safety switch on teh '93 906- the switch that makes the little arrow flash and keeps the car from running/starting/ etc. What a rediculous placement and design. I was able to get botht he bolt and nut off without problem and actually was able to do the entire job with the exhaust in place (thank goodness). But the tranny cooling line was the problem. I was able to get the compression nut loose, but it would opnly turn about two turns smothly and then stop. I used penetrating oil, and I removed the retaining clips that hold the two lines together, and I wiggled and jiggled the line, but could not get the nut off. I was afraid that it is broke or stripped it would mean a tow to town (over 25 miles) and no car for days (not good living in wildfire country this time of year to be without a vehicle). I finally just loosened it as far as I safely could, loosened the jam nut on the tranny side of the fitting, held the line aside as far as I could lever it safely, and then was able to "Tetris" the switch out. The new one pretty much "Tetris'd" back in without incident.

The adjustment procedures I have read were not much help. I moved the switch through its adjustment range and could nbot get the R lights to go off whether in R or in P so I just centered it and left it there. Seems OK- all gears work, R lights work, etc. I could not see the switch well enough to visually line up the shaft with the alignment mark.

Anyway, I have done worse jobs, but it was a workout. BTW- got the genuine Volvo switch from FCP Groton for $100 shipped.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.