'96 850 wagon - No cabin fan

On my '96 850 wagon, 5spd, the cabin fans no longer run.

When I turn on the climate control (heater, defroster, etc) the re-circ and A/C light just flash.

I have the computerized climate system. The manual says is that the flashing lights indicate a fault and I need to take it to a technician.

The local Volvo shop can't look at it for while. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Right before I started having this problem I did notice that the fans sounded louder than usual.

Reply to
Atif

This indicates a code is stored. Often this is caused by the heater fan motor seizing up. The climate computer monitors the current the motor needs, and if it gets too high (indicating a failing motor), the motor is shut off and the lights flash. Of course, you should have the codes read to make 100% sure, but the fact that the fan was louder than normal makes me think a new fan motor should cure your problem.

Reply to
Mike F

I'm not sure on a '96, but you can read the codes for the climate control on the '95 by putting the test lead into the #1 socket on module B (the one to the right). The fault codes are given on page 3-10 of the Haynes Repair Manual. You might also find them at Volvespeed.com.

John Irvine, CA

Reply to
Gus

Apparently '96 was the first year that you could NOT do this. Starting with the '96 models you have to have the special equipment to get to the error codes.

Reply to
Atif

I suspected it was something like this. Any idea how much this should cost? Just so I know before the mechanic gives me a quote.

Thanks for all the help!

Reply to
Atif

That makes sense. 1996 was the first year OBD-II was required in the US so it became pretty common, and the spec didn't call for the owner/operator to be able to read the codes.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee