A/C compressor starts/stops continously

When the engine is idling my a/c compressor from time to time starts/stops continously. When I speed up and let the engine fall down to idle it migth stop the flickering between start and stop.

In general the aircon seems to work although it has difficulties to cool the cabin down when idling for long in traffic jams.

Do I need a recharge?

Thanks and regards Per

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

Check your idle speed setting.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

It might be a little low, you could have it checked easily enough. What year is it? If it's an old R12 system it'll probably be cheaper to convert it to R134, if it's new enough to be 134 then it's easy to top it off.

Reply to
James Sweet

If it goes on and off within af few seconds you are short of gas. If it runs for like 30 seconds its normal.

You can get a good idea of how well it cools by measuring the temperature of the air with the system running at lowest temperature. You should read around 2 deg C. If its higher that that you are normally short of gas.

Is it AC og ECC you have?

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

It is an ECC system. The A/C compressor start/stop cycle is 1 sec.

Last year the pressostat stopped working and I had it changed. I think I lost a little gas through one of the sealings at that time.

Thanks and regards Per

"Niels Bengaard" skrev i en meddelelse news:42982010$0$694$ snipped-for-privacy@dread16.news.tele.dk...

starts/stops

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

1 sec sounds very much like low charge - more gas should fix you up.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Probably, but don't overcharge if you can DIY in your country. Too much does not mean extra cold, it means likely pressure damage somewhere in the system.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

Not to mention poor cooling. If it's new enough to use R134 he should be able to charge it himself, but if it's an old R12 system he'll have to take it in somewhere.

Reply to
James Sweet