Battery light on dash

Hi, I am searching for info on the battery light for a 98 s70. The light has flickered on and back off several times in the past week or two. Sometimes under hard acceleration, sometimes while driving at a constant speed. Each time it is brief, a second or so.

Can anyone suggest any causes to check out? battery voltage seems ok, belt looks fine. Alternator replaced about 4-6 weeks ago.

Thanks

Reply to
newtovolvo

Other than a wiring problem, the only thing that will turn the light on is a broken belt (obviously not in this case) or a defective alternator/regulator. I'd suggest looking no further than the connections on the back of the alternator (unlikely) or the alternator itself.

I assume you're sure it's the battery light, and not the low coolant or low washer fluid lights which can go on in the manner you describe when their respective levels are low.

Reply to
Mike F

"" wrote: > newtovolvo wrote: > > > > Hi, > > I am searching for info on the battery light for a 98 s70. > > The light has flickered on and back off several times in > > the past week or two. Sometimes under hard acceleration, > > sometimes while driving at a constant speed. > > Each time it is brief, a second or so. > > > > Can anyone suggest any causes to check out? > > battery voltage seems ok, belt looks fine. > > Alternator replaced about 4-6 weeks ago. > > > > Thanks > > Other than a wiring problem, the only thing that will turn the > light on > is a broken belt (obviously not in this case) or a defective > alternator/regulator. I'd suggest looking no further than the > connections on the back of the alternator (unlikely) or the > alternator > itself. > > I assume you're sure it's the battery light, and not the low > coolant or > low washer fluid lights which can go on in the manner you > describe when > their respective levels are low. > > -- > Mike F. > Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. > > Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me > directly. > (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email > address.)

Hi..

Have you managed to solve the battery light problem? I just replaced the alternator!! However the problem remains..i.e. when accelerating the light comes on temporarily. The alternator cost $500 and no solution. let me know what else can be done..

thanks

Reply to
ce

ce wrote in news:1_622673 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

I have not found anything that appears to be the cause. Replacement alternator for me was a factory rebuild by bosch themselves. As Mike F has pointed out, there are not too many things to point to. I am wainting for it to happen again, and if it does I will reseat all the electricals to the alternator. If that don't do it, I will start thinking it is the alternator it self or the pulley on the alternator possibly slipping on occassion. I doubt it is these things but what else could it be? Yours does it only on acceleration? Mine has done it on acceleration and at steady state highway speeds.

Reply to
newtovolvo

Yow! I think you need to discover $15 junkyard alternators! Actually the only thing I've seen fail on one so far is the regulator which new is about $60. Where'd you buy it from, the dealer?

Reply to
James Sweet

Have you looked for a loose connection to and from the instrument panel? The battery light is fed by two wires, one from alternator and one from the battery.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes