Blown Head on 1997 850 T5 wagon

Help!!!

I blew up my head (whoops). Started with a radiator leak, and I drove it one too many miles.

I know the head is a pain to replace, but do I have any other choice?

How would I sell a non-running car? Everything worked great until I killed the head.

Any suggestions about what to do with this car? I bought it for $2800 and got my money's worth, but I don't want to just junk it.

Has anyone done a head replacement that could clue me in?

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Reply to
Gman

Unless you've done this kind of job before, your best bet is to get multiple quotes from independent mechanics - and a good Volvo dealer, if one of those rare beasties can be found near you. Also price used and rebuilt heads. With luck, you can get a good used head installed for under $1k. Figure almost twice that for a rebuilt head.

Reply to
mjc1

I found a used head for about $500 for my NA 850 (and several others in the $1000 range) and installation was another $500. Hidden costs include a dozen new headbolts (they're expanding so the ones you have are no longer good) and a whole whack of gaskets and seals.

If you go to the dealer the gaskets are sold individually (death by a thousand cuts?) totalling $hundreds but FCP Groton sells a complete kit for about $65 and the bolts are one fifth of the dealer price. Might as well get a timing belt while you're there and a new water pump gasket (a local water pump can usually be found cheaper than shipping it from FCP because they're heavy). There are a few specific tools (and pitfalls) which could turn a tough job into a nightmare so I'd recommend handing it over to a pro (unless you are one).

Ultimately I think you need to weigh what you think you can get for it once the work is done before embarking. Or commit to continued ownership since the new head (if done properly) will leave you with a car with many years left on it but with stigma that will affect resale.

I'm happy with my rebuild overall and hope to keep driving my 850 for a long time.

Cheers, blurp

Reply to
blurp

I should also add that once the head is off they may find they can machine it and you may be spared the expense of buying a replacement.

This is the thin silver lining.

good luck blurp

Reply to
blurp