Center AC vents blowing warmer air

Here's a strange problem. With the A/C running the air coming from the 2 center dash outlets is a good 10 degrees warmer than the side ducts. In most cars the entire face-level ductwork is a one-piece affair meaning all the air comes from one source. Does Volvo have some kind of split system where there's a damper door or something that could be malfunctioning?

Reply to
Flagstaff Frank

Rob Guenther

I JUST had the same EXACT problem. (See the thread: "air conditioning Q - topping off R134a at home?") The side vents were blowing cool (not cold) air and the center vents were blowing hot air- seemingly hotter than the air from outside. I added a few ounces of 134a (like around three ounces) and they now blow cold. Best to take it to an AC shop and have the system evacuated and recharged properly. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

I don't know your car model, but my 1998 V40 has a separate control for the two center ducts in the dashboard inbetween the ducts....

Arnoud

Reply to
Arnoud Helmantel

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Possibly not the case on all cars. My V70 has an adjustment wheel for each vent in the centre of the dash, plus a third adjustment wheel. The third one opens these vents up to fresh air from outside, bypassing the air con/heater e.t.c. In hot weather, this would allow warmer air in here, than in the other vents. It's nice to have fresh air in your face when driving sometimes, but I always close this third adjustment wheel when using the aircon. The third wheel has a blue squiggle symbol above it, indicating outside (fresh) air. If you have this, check it's closed! Hope to help. Joe Landy Peterborough Reply directly at joelandyman postmaster.co.uk

Reply to
Joe landy

On my 1997 850 this fresh air control is to the left of the center vents.

Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels
[Jim Michaels] (Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:05:47 -0500):

And it's called airmix :)

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik