Check Engine light

2000 V40 60K Miles

Check engine stayed on. Replaced Oxygen Sensor and replaced battery. Check Eingine light stayed off for a few weeks and now comes back on, intermittently. The car runs very well and I cannot detect any apparent problems. Detached battery cables for about 4 hours, but after hooking up, the light came back on. Also had a tuneup when the Oxygen Sensor was installed. Getting good gas mileage and does not use any oil between changes.

Any help or ideas appreciated!

Reply to
Alfie O'Megan

The Check Engine light came on in my 2000 S40. I went to the dealer's service, where they checked the computer and said it was because the gas tank cap wasn't put on tightly after I got gas. In a few days, the light came back on. They reset it again, after finding nothing wrong. The next day, the light was on again, though I hadn't touched the gas cap. The service manager got involved (I insisted on it by now), and suggested trying a new gas cap. He took one out of stock, and remarked that the design was changed. It's a couple of months since the new cap was put on, with no Check Engine lit. I guess Volvo changed the design for a reason and isn't being open about it, not wanting to pay for replacing a lot of caps.

Reply to
Marvin

Thanks, Marvin.

I've been very careful about securing my gas cap but the light still comes on. I'll purchase a new one from the dealer, and see if it helps.

Reply to
Alfie O'Megan

Gas cap $30.00......result negative. Check engine ilight still on.

Reply to
Alfie O'Megan

Your check engine light is trying to tell you something. Any place with an OBD-II reader will be able to tell you what.

Reply to
Mike F

Be aware a certain number of warm-up cycles are needed to automatically reset the Check Engine light, typically four warm-ups or so.

Some auto parts chain stores will read the OBD II codes responsible for the light free of charge. Those codes are vital to determining what is wrong.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mine would not reset automatically. It had to be turned off.

Reply to
Marvin