"Chocolate Box" Diesel Chipping

Does anyone in the UK have any experience of this device - as sold by East Coast Racing? There is one for the 2.5 litre Audi engine (as fitted to 850's
and old shape V70's) for about 350 UKP. Apparently it connects into the wiring to the diesel injection pump and doesn't involve messing with the ECU.
Are they effective in increasing torque and responsiveness? Do they adversely affect fuel consumption? What is the effect on insurance premiums (if you tell you insurers!)?
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock

PS you might want to check out www.tdiclub.com
your Audi engine might be a TDI type motor, these guys know their stuff on VW/Audi group diesel engines... They'd probably help a Volvophile tho ;-), I mean the two groups of loyal owners are equally as fanatical about their cars.

850's
Seems like it would be a much better idea to chip the ECU than to muck around with inserting stuff inbetween it and the engine.
Anything you do is a compromise though, from the factory the cars are tuned quite well already for the average driver, you can move the torque curve around or increase power at the expense of torque at other RPM's, increased fuel consumption and decreased engine life, there's no free lunch.

Thanks for your comments. What do you see as the pros and cons of chipping the ECU vs the injector pump? [The claimed advantages of the 'chocolate box' are DIY installation and the ability to remove it without trace - useful if the car is still under warranty].

It's pretty obvious that if it delivers more torque, it uses more fuel doing so. However, the claim is that this is offset by being able to operate in a higher gear in a lot of cases. I would be interested to hear from users of the device as to how this works out in reality.
The engine in my 1999 (2000MY) V70 2.5D has a flat spot at around 1200-1400 RPM - particularly when pulling away from a junction in 3rd gear. Once its staggers above 1500 RPM, the acceleration dramatically increases. It can be improved slightly by tweaking the injector timing, but this doesn't seem to last long. My principal motivation for chipping is in trying to get rid of the flat spot. Again, I would welcome comments from people with first-hand experience.
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock

box'
if
It really depends on the specific ECU and what chips are available for it. Warranty is a good point as well, for that case the external box may well be your best route. Perhaps you could borrow one from someone for a test drive and see how it feels? Or you could buy one and try it out for a while, if you don't like it sell it on ebay.