Column Mounted Automatic Gear Shifter

My dear old Mom is looking for a replace to her 83 K-Car. The early to mid

1990 Volvo's look to be about the same size and shape. Question, did Volvo offer a column mounted gear shifter for the automatic trans? If so, what model and year?

A quick check of E-Bay looks like floor mounted shifters are the norm. But not knowing all the different models offered, could be missing the mark.

Don't know that much about Volvo, except they are quality cars. Any of the Volvo experts out there can help me out?

Thanks.

Reply to
Seppburgh2

Nope, no Volvo ever came with a column mounted shifter, those seem to be the norm in domestic cars but I don't recall ever seeing anything european with one. Mounting them on the floor allows them to easily offer the same car with either an automatic or manual gearbox and even makes converting an existing car from one to the other relatively straightforward.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks, this is what I need to know. Have one more thing to replace on her K-car (carborator) and if that doesn't fix the stalling, will look Buick. Was hoping Volvo had a shifter on the 'tree' as I always hear good things about these cars.

Take care.

Reply to
Seppburgh2

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Mom's 88 years old. She does not want to learn how to shift gears. Got to listen to your mother!

Been in contact with Volvo directly on this issue, and am out of luck on this point.

Thanks.

Reply to
Seppburgh2

While no Volvo in the period mentioned ever came with a column shift, older models - or ar least the Amazon - most certainly did. The 122 came with both a column-shifted BW 3-speed automatic and, briefly, you could get it with a manual shift/electric clutch setup operated from the column. That option even came with a bench seat!

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Well a floor mounted automatic works just the same as a column one, you don't have to "shift gears", just put it in drive and off you go. Still as you say, she knows what she wants, probably been driving domestic cars all her life, Volvos are great, but they're certainly a little quirky and if that's not what one is looking for then they'd probably be happiest in something else.

Reply to
James Sweet