coolant leak on alternator for 83' 245 GL

Hello,

today I noticed a leak in the cooling system from the hose that goes from the radiator to the lower part of the engine. The leak got bigger on my drive home ~5min and soaked completely the oil sender wiring+ alternator + engine wiring harness. All the lights on the dashboard came on couple of times indicating a short, but only sporadically. I made it home without overheating the engine, but now the battery is dead. I will replace the hose tomorrow.

  1. Is it possible that I fried the alternator? If this is the case how complicated is the repair?

  1. Is this why the battery is dead or the battery leaked to ground through a shorted wire during the short?

  2. How can I diagnose the electrical problem without causing any further damage? I have access to a multimeter.

Anybody has any experience with this?

Also it seems strange that the engineers put a water hose (that should not leak, but it might) right on the top of such an important electric component without any shield to protect the latter.

Thanks,

Marco.

Reply to
Marco Rolandi

John Robertson

Of course you have replaced everything according to the maintenance schedule? If so, you have a valid point; if not, on an '83, you don't.

Reply to
Stuart Gray