gas octane queston

How many out there use 87 octane in their turbo volvos instead of the recommended 93 octane?

Reply to
Pleasantly Surprized

My opinion on this is if they say use 93, then use 93. They say it for a reason. My son put 87 in his Volvo 850 and it ran like crap. Oxygen sensor issues, power issues, etc. Once he went back to 93, it ran much better. I had a similar problem with a Toyota Cressida several years ago.

Reply to
WPWise

Usually go with 91 'cause that's mostly the best I can get. If I see a Sunoco I'll get 93. (83 240 Turbo)

Reply to
blurp

mmm

drives ok on 95 octane, like a rocket ship on 98 but 87 and 93??? sits quicker to walk?

andy

940 2.3 fpt

Reply to
not telling

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I use 83 octane in my 2000 S40. It is a little peppier when I put in the recommended 93 octane, but the performance difference isn't worth the price difference to me. I did the same thing with my 1987 SAAB 9000, and it never hurt the engine.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

With the aid of the little dash data thing that measures the fuel consumption and the temperature outside, I unscientifically compared a tankfull of 87 and 93 octane gasoline.

The difference in price per litre is about 10%. The difference in consumption is about 10%. My driving was similar on both tanks.

If my governement study grant comes through, I'll have more accurate results.

I did not notice a difference in performance...2000 V70 no turbo, two booster seats.

matt

Reply to
Matt

I meant to say 91 octane NOT 93.

Reply to
Matt

On 4/8/04 6:23 AM, in article 9vSPc.18139$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com, "Rob Guenther" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Australia, from many different suppliers....

Hammo

Still sorting out the accident damage to the S70.....

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

-------------------------------- go out to a paint store or home depot and pick up a can(1 gal) of xylene or toulene ... make sure its 100%(usually is)

then mix in 4 oz of marvel mystery oil for every 1 gal of xylene/toulene that you put in ... just make sure that the xylene/toulene mixture in your tank is no more than 20-25% and you are fine

xylene is 115 oct and toulene is 110 oct

so if you have 5 gal of 91 in the tank and put in 1 gal of xylene that makes you mixture about 95oct .. which is good for 15+ psi ...

~^ beancounter ~^

-------------------------------- go out to a paint store or home depot and pick up a can(1 gal) of xylene or toulene ... make sure its 100%(usually is)

then mix in 4 oz of marvel mystery oil for every 1 gal of xylene/toulene that you put in ... just make sure that the xylene/toulene mixture in your tank is no more than 20-25% and you are fine

xylene is 115 oct and toulene is 110 oct

so if you have 5 gal of 91 in the tank and put in 1 gal of xylene that makes you mixture about 95oct .. which is good for 15+ psi ...

~^ beancounter ~^

9vSPc.18139$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com,

under

Reply to
John Robertson

Good Glub!

Where are you?

Here in Albury/Wodonga it is still 97.5 cents/L with 98 being 8.5 cents higher!

What car are you putting it in?

Cheers

Hammo

On 5/8/04 1:11 PM, in article

4111a560$0$25458$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au, "John Robertson" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

See

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Boris Mohar

Or you could just drive out to the local general aviation airport and get some

100LL aviation gas.
Reply to
MACampbel

I did some miles-per-gallon tesing recently.

'86 240, non-turbo, auto trans. Tires at abotu 34-35 p.s.i. inflation pressure (sorry, I don't have the metric conversion, but I use close to the max pressure allowed for the tires). I drive 75 mi. each way to work daily, about 2/3 highway and 1/3 on smaller roads. I get 25-26 mpg on 87 octane and about 28 mpg on 89 octane. The percent improvement in fuel economy seems to be greater than the percent increase in cost. Further testing over the next week or so will give more data for better accuracy. I definitely feel the engine is running more smoothly.

A Volvo mechanic I know described to me that the anti-knock sensor retards the ignition timing when knock is detected, retarding by a variable amount as needed to correct the knock. This gives reduced performance and economy at those times. Higher octane will activate the sensor less often, allowing greater ignition timing advance with more mechanical energy delivered per drop of fuel. I suspect that best overall economy occurs when the octane has been raised just enough so that the knock sensor rarely retards the timing. Further increase in octane will not result in more advance, thus no further increase in energy realized from the fuel.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

Pleasantly Surprized wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick